BYYB Forums

Full Version: Mast Hinge Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to the plans we are supposed to use 12" hinges but those are way to big for the weekender.  Or is that 12" when both sides are spread out??                  Does anyone know where we can get galanized eyelets with threads in the ends? I want to make a spreader using one on each end of an all thread rod to keep wires away from the mast, I was thinking of having it stick out 6" each side of the mast.
I would think that 12" is when they are spread out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "galvanized eyelets with threads in the ends" - but you might be meaning "eye-nuts".  I found mine at an industrial fastener shop (Brafasco)  I'm not sure where you are located but check the yellow pages.  There are lots of spreader options - one of the nicest I've seen was just a triangular plate of steel.
Thanks Andrew thats what I was thinking..  Not sure about making a spreader like that,  lots of windage if you ask me.  I was just thinking of making a simple spreader out of 16" of all thread rod with those end peices I'm looking for.  Also I'm gonna shrink tube over the exposed all thread, I figured it would stick out about 6" on each side of the mast.
Windage on a rig designed like this is a given. One small spreader arrangement isn't going to make any difference at all, considering what else it there.

Mike, what you're looking for is an "eye nut". This one is a Jamestown part in stainless.

[Image: SUN-57902.jpg]
Thanks paul. I didn't know what they were called.
I finished my mast today including all the eyelet holes, ran the wires and mounted the vhf antenna base.  My mast is an octagon shape. I ended up recessing my mast hinges the thickness of the hinge itself and ended up  with a nice flush mount, I'm gonna counter sink the turned around hinges screw holes and use flat head screws.
  Now it's on to 3 coats of Epoxy and 3 coats of Varnish.