BYYB Forums

Full Version: From Flat to Shiny
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It may not be that apparent in these photos but Morgaine got a complete face lift this last week. I originally used a satin finish paint on her because I don't like shiny but I began to see right away that shiny had virtues that were more than aesthetics. IT was plain impractical and I couldn't keep Morgaine clean - In fact, it rained and she looked worse than ever ....but, after week of dismantling and lots of prep she got a WHOLE new paint job ! I finally cleaned the paint off the bright work and she is almost ready for the water again!

[Image: morg.jpg]

[Image: new_paint_3.jpg]

[Image: morg_name.jpg]

Next project is reef points....

a.
She sure is a pretty thing Adla, I need to paint my decks again and at some time in the future do the hull over again with some boat or automotive paint. Keep up the good work

Keith
I have to remind myself when doing paint jobs, that shinny paint draws your eye to the surface, imperfections and all, but flat paint draws your eye to the shapes and curves of the boat, not the waves in the finish. A very important thing to consider when selecting finish materials for a project.

There are three basic yacht classes out there, A,B and C. The A class yacht is Bristol, has flawless finishes, shines nicely and probably doesn't get used very much or has an owner that tosses in loads of effort, money and time keeping it near perfect. The class C yacht is the work boat having rust stains dangling from it's chain plates, bits of garden hose duct taped to the dock lines for chafe relief, layers of paint that clearly weren't sanded smooth before the last paint job, wear marks, divots in the rub rail etc. A boat that looks like it earns its living and has the scars to prove it. Then there's the B yacht class, one which most folks (that use their boats) own. These have good finishes, but the varnish may need to be touched up in a spot or two on a coming, the surfaces aren't perfectly smooth, but don't look bad. These boats will have some dress up items like turn buckle boots, but many of the features seen will be convenience related, like boom crotches, halyard sacks, or maybe a road box built into the front of the trailer to hold spare parts. These are the boats that get the most love, use and seen by the public.

An A class yacht requires the finest grades of finish (and elbow grease) available. It wouldn't be a show winner without it. The C class is lucky to get some fresh finish and is grateful the owner will not spring for the more expensive shiny stuff, for fear it may show off the distortions in her flanks. The B boat can live very happily with flats (I prefer them on most boats), or satin finishes, with gloss always an option. Gloss requires more surface prep, but many of the boats here receive plenty of surface prep, just look at the photos of Morgaine above (nice job Adla) though I'm pretty sure, Adla will try and convince us, it was just short of wire brush applied after a half hour of prep. It wouldn't look so good without much love and effort, which plainly shows in the pictures. Part yourself on the back, she looks great.

Brian R Walters

Adla, those shroud covers you stitched up look cool, but wouldn't a maple leaf have looked better ?... :lol: :lol: (I may be biased !)
Adla

Your boat looks great!!!.
I started to use semi gloss but your experience with cleaning change my mind.

Kayakarl
hOLY cOW aDLA, she looks like a whole new boat. Confusedhock: Beautiful. I love those shroud covers. Can't wait to see her in person.
Thanks Steve, Thanks KArL !

I'm sold on a high gloss for the topside - I didn't even use fancy auto paint - just basic Bear paint - outdoor, latex, enamel. But the proof is in the pudding - those photos are after a night of rain and all i sponged out was the cockpit and the seats....and it rains dirty here (yucky city sky makes for dirty rain)...I could not believe the difference from the satin finish.

STEVE - When are we going sailing again? I'm going to Phoenix in April - Maybe we should plan an event for S. Utah in May.

Par - i won't tell any stories like it only took me a minute to prep :lol: IT was a tON of work - everything had to be removed...because i wanted it to look 'neat'... I spent my entire spring break re-painting the topsides and touching up details --- but i love my boat and enjoy every minute of working with her.

Brian - the maple leaf would look great if the boat was red toO wouldn't it - there is an idea. Whenever I see Timtone's photos (guy on the other site) I want to defect to Canada....sure is pretty up there. But then i remember it snows... :x bleck

a.
As a side note, even if it's the first note, I am planning to launch my boat on May 20th, if I can get this trailer thing figured out :x .

I had planned on the GSL, but since I am the guy furtherest north, and the GSL is north of me, maybe a southern adventure is a better idea. Too early for the Navajo lake trip, but the lower altitude reservoirs should be ok. Anyway, I'm game.
Brit -

do you want me to bring my welder to the boat shed? I forget what kind of mods you said needed to be done - I have my Lincoln 220 machine (heavy) and my friend's portable mig....I could bring one of those and some grinders....hehehe :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

May 20th would be a good date to sail - and it would be nice to make your launch a fleet event. Lets kick it around.

a.
gREAT iDEA. Woops, been around Adla too long I guess. May sounds good. Plenty of time to get the Black Falcon out from under the winter tarp and prettied up. Let's get some areas in mind and I'll plan on it.
Pages: 1 2 3