BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tabernacle Trouble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all.  I need some advice.  Rather than use a mastbox on my Weekender, I build a tabernacle identical to Ryerson Clark's "San Souci".  I bought a gooseneck from Duckworks.  Because the mast pivots from horizontal to it's stepped position, the boom is attached to the mast and folds parallel to the mast when the mast is horizontal for trailering.  My problem is the lack of clearance between the mast and boom with this setup.  Where do I go with the flaked sail and the mast hoops?  How about the gaff?  Do I detach the boom everytime I'm done sailing and drop the mast?  Any ideas?  I've attached two drawings and a photo of my gooseneck to help demonstrate the problem.

Dave
Increase the height of the base and attach the boom below the pivot point so that you have enough room for the flaked sail, boom and gaff boom below the mast.  Set the goosneck at its functional height on the mast base if it isn't on a slide track that allows for height adjustment.  This will make for a much more functional arrangement and take all that weight off of the mast itself.  Also give you a muich better attachment to the mast with the boom attached below the pivot.
If that's not an option, can you pull the pin on the gooseneck pivot?  That would allow everything to just hang under the mast.

One additional concern that I would have on this as well is that your gaff jaws might not like being folded parallel with the mast.