BYYB Forums

Full Version: First Real Day of Weekender Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
    I laided out the Keel a few weeks ago and made saw dust today for the first time  today after our Boat Shed was delivered, assembled and set up with the tools needed (well almost).  Keel is cut, screwed and glued and the plan for tomorrow is building a cradle and laying out the floor.
    My mind knows how to use the tools that I have used for many years but, at 57 almost 58 my body is saying "Cut The Crap".  Im keeping "A Log" of time and materials for those interested (my first build).  The keel has taken me 10 hours and cost $109.82.

Alan
Congratulations! You are on your way.  I know how it feels to be your age, 59 currently.  There was a fella on here, just a week or so ago, that built one at 70 I think?  I am sure the oldest ever to build one is past that so take heart.  I wish I had kept a log or at least better records on expenses.  I know approximately how much I have in my Triad boat build but I am sure my misc. expenditures are higher then I think they are.  Take your time and enjoy the build.  I can't remember doing anything, of this type, that has brought me such enjoyment.
alan, I also know how you feel.............. 60 in a couple days...............the most enjoyable part of the construction for me was watching the thing grow from nothing to a rough wooden sculpture in a very short amount of time....................after that it slows down and you don't see that much progress each day.....................I'm almost done now and I didn't keep any records of cost or time but the little woman took lots of pics at the different stages and my advice is to do the same.....................you'll want to see them again and again      bruce
    Bruce thanks for your support, you and others.  Today I built the cradle and got carried away with sanding the keel, Franny want's to hang it over the fireplace, the only problem is we don't have a fireplace and building one is not in The Weekended Budget.
    Another day of turning a couple of hours into a full day, the Pain and Satisfaction is"WONDERFULL".

Alan
Sanding is a big part of building a boat.  At least it seemed so to me.  I approached it methodically at first but after a bit came to look forward to going to the shop to smooth out just one more rough spot.  After a time I think it got to be a zen like thing.  The feel and look of smooth sanded wood makes it worth it for me.

John Mander

Uh Guys, 59 and 60 and suffering the aches and pains of "Old Age"? Are you in for a treat when you hit 70!
    At 71, I'm building a Weekender. The keel, floor, bulkheads and deck are finished. I am at a partial standstill on the Weekender, because the "Jawbone" kayak needs one more coat of paint and it is good to go. Then I fell out of a loft in April and shattered three vertebre.  They, (actually a brain and spinal column surgeon) injected the breaks with something similar to 5200. Can't pick up anything heavy (over 10 pounds) for a bit , so have directed my time to a PDRacer! It will go 3D this week if I can a chance.
    I am working as a fire tower lookout in the Winema National Forest ( South central Oregon) and fire season starts tomorrow. So. hobby shop time is restricted for a while.
      Oh, and guys, life just gets better and better, if you don't sweat the petty stuff - and I have beeen told,  "It's all petty!"    John M.