BYYB Forums

Full Version: Attaching rubrails and hatch mounts before or after fiberglassing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Instructions for the Pocket Cruiser clearly tell builders to attach the rubrails and "hatch mounts" before fiberglassing, but doesn't it make sense to attach them *after* glassing? It seems that glassing would be faster and neater without having to trim around these boards--especially the hatch mounts that sit on the cabin roof. Or is there a reason why it is better to attach these boards during the construction stage? I am nearly ready to start glassing, so this question, which has been vexing me for months, must now be resolved.

After a slow winter, I am making rapid progress and hope to have my PC in the water by midsummer. There are photos on my blog: http://buildaboat.wordpress.com/

Thanks!
I encapsulated everything in epoxy, so I glassed before rubrails, hatch mounts etc. were installed.  You're not going to fiberglass the hatchmounts or rubrails...just epopxy.  Why install them and make the glassing tougher?  I agree.  Glass first.

Dave
Thanks for the nod of support. Some things seem obvious, but when i pay too much attention to the instructions, I get nervous.

I hope to join you in the water soon.

Paul
Just be sure that you have the inside of the boat open so that you can put the screws into the rub-rail during installation.  If you have your seats installed before glassing, you won't be able do do that.
I glassed over my rubrails and wish I had glassed the whole side and then added the bare rubrails - they take a beating by design and need to be replacable.

Andrew is right about leaving access inside the boat for screwing them down.
When I did my glassing, I ran the fiberglass to/over the rub-rails and as I worked my way along I trimmed it there.

At least that's what I did when I glassed the bottom.  I glassed the top first and trimmed well above the rub rails and ended up using a lot of putty to try to make it smooth.  :'(
Things that attach to the hull should be 'glassed separately so they can be removed. Rub rails are considered "consumable" and need to be replaced every so often.
Oh-oh, I already installed the cockpit seats, not thinking about the rubrail installation. Maybe I can temporarily hold them in place by screwing from the outside (removing the screws and filling the holes after the epoxy hardens)? If they are "consumable," there must be a way of adding them after completion of the boat, right? Tell me this is not a problem.
You wouldn't be the first to have glued on rubs. It would be nice if a more reasonable arrangement had been provided, easy access to fasteners, contingency plans for future repairs and replacements, etc., but then we'd all have evolved with eyes on the backs of our heads too. Glue and screw them down, then leave the screws or remove and plug them. It's not a problem, it's a situation with a few different solutions. It would be a problem, if it was constantly calling your work and telling your boss you're sleeping with his wife.
Greetings Paul Boyer,

Rub rails need not be consumable.

In a civilized boating world, we use fenders ...

[Image: 52074.jpg]
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/use...no+Fenders

If the boat will be a trailer sailer, and therefore never spends any real length of time docked against a pier, then the fenders will protect the rub rails, so don't sweat it.

[Image: gowanslaunc027.jpg]
Aloha

This video shows fenders on Morgaine and the Black Falcon ..
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...074610364#

Wink

Cheers,
Tom