BYYB Forums

Full Version: Got those axle seal blues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was going to change the rear brakes on my F-350 dually today but when I finaly got the brake drum off there was grease all over the brakes. Idea That explains why my brakes are slipping. I have seals leaking on both sides that I need to fix. I usually do my own work but I think I'm gonna take it in and let someone else have this headache. It's not a hard job if you have the right tools. Glad I found it when I did, a dry rear end is a bad thing when your talking trucks. Gotta get it fixed before the messabout.

Keith
KEITH,
if you want to save money i can talk you through it its not to hard
in fact the only tools you need are an 8mm wrench, a13mm socket and ratchet, a small ballpien hammer some sillacone, a little vasaline,(to put into the spring side of the seals) and a can of brake clean and your rearend grease.
You remove the rear cover drain all the fluid. rotate the driveshaft till the 8mm bolt that holds the centerpin in is facing you,tap the center of the 8mm bolt with a punch and hammer lightly to loosen the threadlock you could even use a little heat very little then put the box end of the wrench onto the head of the bolt turn or acctually put pressure as to tighten it thenloosen it and remove it and the pin will slide out , at this point make sure that you do not move the drive shaft as the spider gears will fall out.
(not fun) then you push each axle in and remove the c-clips at each inside end of the axles a pair of needle nosed pliers are good for this also a magnet would help to grab them but not necisary then you slide the axles out and at the old seal you can wedge the axle in the seal and pop them out .
Then you put the vasaline into each seal put them into place and tap lightly in circles all around the seal till its flush with the axle you can use somthing flat like wood or beter metal to tap it in, lay it on the seal face and tap it in circles till its flush .
after that you carefully slide the axles back in install the c-clips, pull out on each axle after that to seal them in slide the pin back in install the 8mm bolt put silicone on the rearend cover on the inside of the holes and maybe a little around the holes, install the cover wait an hour or so to refill the rear end while your doing that you can install new brake shoes clean the aria with brake clean as well as the drums you could acctually have your drums turned at a parts store just have to call around. here i use napa but autozone does it to.usually they charge $10.00 a side
when your done with your brakes fill the rearend and your home free
you could take your drums in first before you start so when you get to that point youll have them ready.
Just a thought.
Bri