BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rigging help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm getting to the point where I need to locate blocks, fairleads, cleats etc. to set up my rigging.  I'd like to do this before final finishing, so if I have to add something later, I don't have to redo the finish in the area.  I've been sailing on a 22 ft. Hunter with a cuddy cabin.  It's set up with double jibsheets, with cam cleats at the aft end of the cuddy.  There's also a block and cam cleat fixed upsidedown to the cockpit bottom for the main sheet.  To release a cleated main sheet, just step on the line as it exits the cam!  I'd like to set up something like that on my Weekender. While I'm comfortable fixing the gaff throat halyard to the tabernacle on a cleat, I'd like to lead the peak halyard back to the cockpit.  Can anyone with what they feel is a good setup for the Weekender post a quick diagram of where the cleats, blocks and fairleads are?  It'd be a great help to us first time builders, and novice sailors.  Here's a deck drawing if anyone needs one!

Dave
Greetings

You will need turning blocks at the base of the mast, fairleads on the cabin top, and jam cleats or stoppers on the top rear corner of the cabin.

Some would say that you should bring the gaff throat and peak halyards back to the cockpit at the cabin top and mount their jam cleats or stoppers side by side.  This way raising the main sail is easier as you can grab both halyards together and haul away.  Assuming that the throat and peak halyards have the same purchase, the gaff will go up the mast and maintain a horizontal attitude, which helps to prevent jams.  Ditto for dousing the main.  Let off the peak first until the gaff is horizontal, and then grab both halyards and let the gaff down evenly.

So a reasonable arrangement would be to place the jib sheet and jib halyard to one side of the hatch, and the gaff throat and peak halyards on the other side.  It would also be reasonable to place the two lines that you will fiddle with the most (Jib sheet and peak halyard) closer to the centerline of the boat so that they can be more easily manipulated from either tack.  Others would say that the jib a throat halyards should be towards the centerline so that their bitter ends can be coiled and tossed inside the cabin thereby eliminating the potential for accidentally grabbing the wrong line.  Whatever you do, just be consistent.

[Image: hal2pit2.jpg]
Frank Hagan

[Image: 041_G.jpg]
[Image: 098_G.jpg]
Adla Earl

Cheers,
Tom
A few builders, including myself have run the halyards down the shrouds.  I attached the blocks to the chain plates and led them back to the cockpit.  I put the cleats just aft of the cabin bulkhead so that any protruding screws wouldn't go into the cabin.

One thing I discovered though is that you have to have your blocks aligned so that they will point in the direction the line runs.  I originally didn't do that and had a lot of problems with the lines binding up.