BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Virtual Sailboat Race
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A new race has begun, some of you may already know about it. It mimics the Transat AG2R.

http://www.virtualregatta.com/index_ag2r.php

It's a 2 man east/west Atlantic crossing. Currently there are about 48,000 players on line. I had a great start then got caught in dead air for two days, dropping from the top 100 to about 25,000th. I've clawed my way back to 6,800 which places me in the top 14% bracket.

New players will be dropped into the middle of the fleet at random, so you can fight your way to the front too. Naturally, I'm "PARyachts" and there are two basic strategies for the best route, the upper polar and the lower bee line.

The rumb line has the fleet driving through the mid Atlantic doldrums so you can sail north of the rumb in a polar route to short the distance and avoid sailing the the equatorial highs. The other option is to sail low and fast through the near shore gusts, on the African coast to miss the doldrums and hope to get lucky with southern latitudes trade winds on the back end near South America.

Most of the fleet is sailing close to the rumb, with the leaders and about 70% of the fleet on the northern route (which is the common route the real boats take). To find me us the "search for a player" feature or just click each boat near the forward top of the fleet, until you find me. The lower route is high risk, but could be very rewarding if the trades come on in your favor. The upper route is safer, but there's more boats to battle with and you have to dodge doldrums in mid ocean. Come on, get your butt kicked like a man . . .
6748...quit foolin around and get to work, throw your mate overboard and take the helm,who needs sleep Smile
I'm in the top 5% bracket now, but I see a couple hundred miles of dead air ahead. I hope I'm high enough to avoid it. If I can and can avoid the sweeping highs crossing the equator again, then I'll place well.
Man you been busy passing almost 4000 boats in 4 days  :o
It's been back and forth Bob. I can't stay with the machine and make adjustments for every shift, so the guys with auto pilot, etc. will always beat me. I've noticed it's very tough getting below the 3,000 mark (likely most of the folks with auto pilot are). I was there the other night, in fact as low as 1,700, but then I hit a lull and I've been stuck in 5 knot winds for 24 hours. I still think my high latitudes route will work, if I can catch the back side of the windward trades on the south side of the Caribbean.
Where's your auto pilot?I tried readin the instructions but my French aint so good.......
Click on the English flag as you get ready to log on and you get our version. You have to pay for auto pilot. I hit a moderate patch of wind today, over 9 knots, so I'll make up some ground. Where I'm positioned now, I can grab a few thousand spots just with a good day. I'm at the front of the "pack" chasing down the leaders.