BYYB Forums

Full Version: Sailing rig type
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question for members of the forum.  What type sailing rig is your favorite?  Most weekenders and vacationers sport gaff rigs but is a gaff rig your out and out favorite or just the best rig for this size and type of boat?  I built a Triad.  The plans called for a lateen type sail but it is different from the lateen rigs I have seen in the past.  It has a boom along the bottom edge and most lateen rigs I had seen didn't have booms.  Lateens are not the easiest sails to manage and some, like the one I have with a boom, are in the way when lowered.  I intend to deal with that by securing the boom to the gaff then raising the gaff again which should work to keep the entire sail clear for rowing or when launching or retrieving.  Time will tell.  Again though the question is which sailing rig puts the biggest smile on your face?
There are no "best" rigs, though some are more efficient or have fewer parts or are easier for the novice or better upwind or better tacking, etc.

The most efficient rig according to the most recent (reliable) comparison is the crab claw, which is is Polynesian rig, with very limited appeal and usefulness on a modern craft.

The gaff rig stopped development at the end of the 19th century. It was surpassed by the Bermudian rig for many reasons and this is the preferred rig today by a huge margin.

Most things in yacht design die a quick and painful death, once someone discovers a new item that can offer an advantage over the previous way of doing things.

The natural fiber rig (hemp rope) was replaced with wire in about the time it takes to type this fact. This is how much better wire was over tarred marlin. Turnbuckles are another "innovation" that swept through the world's fleets, replacing lanyards and eyes. Both invented by Nat Herreshoff, who was likely the most prolific designer and inventor ever in the industry.

All rigs have the same problems from a engineering and aerodynamic stand point. We've known for quite some time what we'd like to use, but getting this to stand upright in the center of a pitching boat, without folding up and crashing down on the crew's heads is another issue completely.

As far as the gaff goes, it's seen very little real development, though there are natural "enhancements" that could be incorporated. In other words, the Weekender would be able to sail closer to the wind with a leg-o-mutton rig and could use balloons down wind to compensate for area lose in the Bermudian arrangement. The is the mentality employed for the last century of sailing. It doesn't mean it's better, just the rig that is currently in fashion.
I loved the lateen rig on my MiniCup - I used to joke with people that I had 2 lines ... 1 sail goes up, 2 - I want to go fast

Since then I've also used a boomless sprit sail on my sailing canoe which - while it doesn't set quite as well as other sails, is also easy and has the advantage of not whacking you on the head when you make a mistake.

I suppose it all depends on what you are looking for in a rig.  For me simplicity and reliability far outweighs performance but other people I've found like playing with lots of bits of string and relish the complexity and then there's the "go fast" crowd...
Most modern rigs were designed for racing, they go better to windward and then you use other sails to give you the best reaching or downwind.  Rigs that go the best to windward don't do it all.  Rigs like the gaff that don't go so well to windward, are better off the wind.  It's all a compromise, just choose which you like.  On small boats I like the balanced lug the best.  It sure isn't the most efficient to windward, but I can leave other weekenders behind downwind and stay about even with them on a reach.
I'll loan you my sea anchor anytime Ryerson LOL, It'll give Keith a sporting chance.

Greg