BYYB Forums

Full Version: Floatingbear.ca - shutting down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After recovering from yet another server failure (It's 7 years old and cheap) I've decided to finally shut down my web site - http://www.floatingbear.ca  It's been a fun run, blogging about building and sailing, but I'm not doing too much building these days and as we all know - finding time to sail is always at a premium.

Thanks everyone who has visited.

The pages that I have that show how to make the knotted fenders were actually copied with permission from another site on behalf of the BYYB and are some of the most popular pages I have.  If the BYYB wishes to copy them to here somewhere that would probably be appropriate - if you have any problems, let me know and I can email you the "original" files.

The site will probably stay up for another week or so - if the server keeps running while I transition my email to another service.
Ahhh 'tis a sad day indeed. I enjoyed going to floating bear.com. it will be sadly missed, There was alot of good info and fun to see, A most inspiring website at the least.
Fairwind's Floatingbear.

Brian.

P.S. Andrew check your PM's
Andrew, I have enjoyed your site in the past and spent several minutes on it again this AM.  I am sure the diligence and documentation of your build have provided many with insights that helped them make decisions concerning their builds or in some cases whether they built at all.  Your cost logs have been sighted in the forum on many occasions.  Though I am sorry to see you are taking down the site I understand.  Running a server and maintaining a website are time consuming.  Your site will still exist on the wayback machine and this morning, for a while, loaded far quicker off their high powered servers.  Currently it is not doing so well on the Wayback but they go through cycles where their spiders search the net and archive things so if there are hiccups try a day or so later.  Here's a direct link to the wayback:

http://web.archive.org/web/

Emboldened by your comments about the knotted fenders I gave those pages extra attention this morning.  I will try and make one after picking up some rope next time I am in town.
Andrew,
when I saw in your cost log how cheap you bought lumber, I really took in consideration to move in Canada  Smile.
I'm happy that that page desappears, because it is a shame for everyone like me spent a plenty of money for few plywood sheets, furthermore not of marine grade  >Sad

I had not read the knotted fender instructions, but now I have immediately converted in pdf that page and I'll read it later.

I think that for you as for everybody else it is time to sail, you can make a new web site next autumn, with many new experiences to tell.

Gianluigi
thanks for keeping it up as long as you did...I found your site before I found BYYB...and it was nice see the stages...glad I got to see it all...

it would take some time---but could you "move" the content to another site---a free site?  I post all my blogs for wood working at lumberjocks.com...then you dont have to maintain it...

matt
You are one of the pioneers Andrew, thanks for keeping it up as long as you did.
(05-02-2010, 07:54 AM)Matt Denney link Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for keeping it up as long as you did...I found your site before I found BYYB...and it was nice see the stages...glad I got to see it all...

it would take some time---but could you "move" the content to another site---a free site?  I post all my blogs for wood working at lumberjocks.com...then you dont have to maintain it...

matt

Matt - in some ways it's more than just the server dieing.  It's been almost 10 years and I really don't have much more to say.  It will still be available via the way-back.  When I started it, there weren't many ways to blog about boat-building - now there's facebook, twitter etc.  I'm thinking that I'll probably re-route the domain name (which I'm keeping for email etc) to my facebook or twitter feed.

I appreciate the kind and supportive comments - it's nice to know that I wasn't talking into a vacuum.
Greetings Andrew,

I disagree with your statement that you don't have more to say.  In fact, what you have had to say in the past is new today to those in the present who are just starting their Weekender projects.  You have an obligation to future builders to resurrect your web site content so that many more Back Yard Yacht Builders will be encouraged to complete their projects.  

Where would we be today if Plato had not bothered to preserve Socrates' teachings in his Dialogues?  Would Aristotle have bothered to follow in their footsteps?  Would Aristotle had even know there were any footsteps to follow if they were not so carefully documented?  No, I say.  And the world would be a little less bright.

And where would we be without your webcam?  When I'm freezing my *** off in February in Chicago, at least I have the comfort of looking at the thermometer outside your window and realizing that somebody else has it colder than me; and you can look at Ryerson's web cam and see that the boys in Yellow Knife have it worse than you.  Pull yourself together man.  Are you a Canadian? Are you a pioneer in the Great White North? Surely resurrecting a web site is a tiny trifle.  Get going.  Get it done.

Respectfully,
Tom
I contacted a builder in Florida who has offered to host sites for other builders. He sent a note that he'd offer space for $49/year and a $49 set-up charge. It might be worth looking into...

Mike
If any of you are interested in having a website, with a domain name of your chosing, if available, and an email address that doesn't change check out www.1and1.com.  I have refered a number of past clients to them and have two accounts there myself.  They have different types of accounts.  Their lowest is $3.99/month with 1 domain and the next up is $6.99/month with 2 domains.  You can have numerous subdomains also.  There are other options for businesses and such.  I have had great luck with them.  You can get a technician 24 hours a day in minutes if there is a problem.