BYYB Forums

Full Version: sails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello again.received polysails kit yesterday and it says I need to sew them up..the video from stevenson did not address this.something about the tape not adhering well to the poly ....................I do have access to a heavy sewing machine but not sure how to proceed and what type of thread to use.Any suggestions on reefing point(one) .........my motor is mounted, trailer is finished, will put off painting stripes and making rub rails until I have plied the ICW...............just have to figure out sails and what and where all the rigging attaches on mast,boom etc.  where should I buy the blocks and etc.  don't want to use hardware store pulleys....................... thanks                endeavoring to persevere            bruce
I just sewed the sail for my boat, a Triad with a lateen rig so a bit different then yours, but I think it turned out ok for my first ever sewing attempt.  I used a white tarp from Tarps Plus, http://www.tarpsplus.com/ehitetarps.html. They descibe their tarps as Super Heavy Duty White Poly Tarpaulin 6.0 oz. Per Square Yrd. - 1200 Denier - 14x14 Weave Count.  I wanted something a bit better then the Wal-mart/box store weight tarps and it came in white which I thought would look better then the blue or brown poly tarps found around town.  I tried using some heavy, bonded "Dabond" polyester thread, I bought from Duckworks, but couldn't get the tension set right on my wife's 25 year old singer home machine.  After posting a few questions on the forum I came to the conclusion that the heavy, bonded "Dabond" polyester thread was over kill considering the poly material so I went to a fabric store and bought some UV resistent, polyester, Upholstery type thread.  It worked well in the singer.

Stevenson's plans for the lateen rig called for a pocket on the gaff and boom sides but I think a sail cut to the right dimensions, with grommets along each of those edges, would have did just as well.  I stayed with the plan and sewed the pockets.  The tarps come in pairs.  When I do a second sail, if I like how this poly material works in the wind, I may try the grommet edges on the next one.

I followed Paul's advice, to go slow and use a wide stitch, and only broke 2 needles finishing the six stitches.  The gaff side, called the head on four sided sails but on a lateen rig it is also the forward vertical edge so it might be called the luff?, is 17'8".  The foot/boom side length is 9'8".  The leech is 12'6''.  I did two stitches on the pockets and the leech edge.  It was funny to see how much my sewing improved over the course of the sew.  My first and last stitches were along the gaff pocket.  I originally just did one stitch along each side because I was worried about how well my wife's machine would hold up.  After finishing one stitch along each edge I reversed directions and added a second stitch to each side.  I would like to tell you that my first and last stitches were parallel lines but they weren't.  All the same I think they will hold just fine.  Well I hope they will.

I am sure others will have stronger suggestions on which type thread but given the life of a poly sail I suggest getting one that is strong, UV resistent and works well in your machine.

As far as blocks, clears and hardware go I bought my from jamestowndistributors and Duckworks.