BYYB Forums

Full Version: rigging mods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello.......time for the rigging.............should I use a spreader for the shrouds and change the attachment point to address clearance issues? is it better to run sheets and halyards on the cabin or side decks?  any mods I should know about?....................found my trailer which needs some work,found my motor,ordered the sail kit and motor mount yesterday..............will get some new pics on web site soon...wheelersails.com...........if I'm lucky we'll be sailing the ICW by june first...................thanks for all the help,this forum has been great.......bruce
oops.web site is whiteoaksails.com
For me, my lines come down the mast and straight out onto the cabin roof, ending just before the open hatch cover.  This way I can easily stand central in the boat (in the hatch) with the hatch around me for security (can't fall overboard).  The coiled lines are then on the cabin top and not in the cockpit.  Anything will work though, this is my preference.
I used a stainless steel spreader about 7  ;Din wide to put the shrouds on, and I'm lovin it!
Very few months ago I was in the same situation and asked advices (see discussions: “deck fitting location”, “weekender progression”, “single halyard gaff”….) and I decided to avoid spreaders and attach shrouds at the top. I never regret about this, while on single halyard I preferred to come back to the two lines system.
Sheets and halyard run along shrouds. My dream is to set them on the cabin roof, but the first way is simpler and not necessary definitive. At present I have the club-foot , nevertheless I put two clam-cleats symmetrically, in order to use them for the two jib sheets if I want to test the traditional system. Now one is used for the club-foot sheet, the other for the gaff halyard.
On the deck panel joints are bolted then two cleat bigger than required, because I use them for two lines (on port side first I tie the jib halyard, then its sheet¸ on starboard side first the jaw halyard then the gaff one) In this way I avoid two fittings that are not necessary.

Gianluigi