BYYB Forums

Full Version: Epoxy Fillets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
        Well after making my 1st Epoxy fillets over the weekend using just my fine ground shop wood shavings they turned out very nice.  I did learn a couple of things,    1)  cleanup the leftover spillover on either side of the fillet before the epoxy hardens  :-[.....  2)  Same as #1 <--  Cleanup the little piles of mixed epoxy/sawdust  alongside the fillets Before the epoxy hardens[b][b][/b][/b]   
          Thankfully I only did a small section under the seats and was trying my hand at it LOL...  I do have a question though as I've read about it somewhere that you could use regular house flour as a filler.  How would that sand?  As the mixture I made useing woodshavings will be real hard to sand..  I can't imagine using that mixture to fillet the final finish.
Flour mixes ok, but not sure you're saving enough $$ to worry.  Talcum power works to and smells nice when you sand Smile
Mike,
I've found that baking flour is only slightly easier than wood flour to sand,
I just tried the talc on the final fill coat between the rails and a little test
sand this morning showed it sands smooth easily. ;D and smells nice.
The real trick to fillets is making them so you have very little to no sanding.
On structural fillets lay your glass tape on them while they're still soft and wet
out with un-thickened epoxy.
On cosmetic fillets wait til it's still tacky and run a gloved finger dipped in solvent
across the fillet smoothing it out, see below.

Fair winds
Dan
[Image: l_37d1bd5c7d174f1fa42cb83072eac4f6.jpg]

[Image: l_6f4f671abc3d455f86950dd0971742bd.jpg]
WOW those look purty..  I won't post pics of mine cause I don't want to get embaressed lol.  I'll try the flour fillets next.
Thanks Mike,
Both of those are wood flour fillets.

Fair winds
Dan
Mike, if you add a small amount of silica to your wood flour mix it will turn creamy and will spread nicer.