BYYB Forums

Full Version: Caulk or Bedding for affixing hand rails, rub rails, etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to use a product that is only slightly adhesive in nature and not too difficult or damaging to remove when replacing items such as hand rails, rub rails, etc.

I have beeding compound, but not sure if that offers any adhesive properties.  I thought of using caulk too.  All of these components will be screwed too.  I anticipate replacing some items in the future due to damage, etc. and don't want to glue it.

Any thoughts?
Try 4200 or silka seal.
Both 4200 (3M-4200) and silka seal (I think he means a Sika product) are adhesive sealants, in some cases, such as 3M-4200 and 5200, highly adhesive.

Dolfinite is the traditional marine bedding compound. It's non-adhesive and stays flexible for a long time. I've dissembled boats after 60 years, that still had soft Dolfinite inside joints. It's oil based, can't be painted over, leaves an odd color seam line, and isn't very elastic compared to modern sealants.

I prefer 3M products, but only because I know them. Use 3M-101 if you want a good all a round moderately adhesive sealant.
Thanks for the insight.  Yes...4200 is way too aggressive of a sealant for what I am trying to do.  I have some Dolfonite, but that has no adhesion capabality, so I think I will just go with the suggested 3m product.  Thanks.
Yep that is what I ment.  I've never used 3M-101.  A new trick for the collection??  8) 8) 8) 8)
3M-101 is a polysulfide and the preferred bedding for continuous submersion on wood. Polyurethanes can work (3M-5200/4200, SikaFlex 281, etc.) on submerged wood, but need to be applied under pressure (in a joint, for example) during the cure, or it will release from the wood once saturated. I use polysulfide exclusively under the LWL for this reason. This is also the preferred decking seam goo (laid decking). The two part polysulfide work the best, but the single parts (3M-101 for example) are nearly as good, easier to work with and cure faster. No new trick, I've been doing this for a few decades, though you may have missed previous comments about polysulfide.