BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender Traveler system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, Has anyone ever thought about doing a traveler system on the weekender.  I was thinking if something was possible, maybe like a raised taffrail with ronstan track on top with a railcar system or something...  Has anybody had any luck? ;D
Can't see why not. That's one of the very fun things about building your own machine: You get to fiddle with it as you like!

Mike
I was thinking back to my hobie cat days and how I loved my track traveler system.  I just did'nt know if there was any advantage to using a system like that on a weekender.  I mean being able to use a 4/1 ratio purchase on the boom vs the standard setup.
If you like it, do it.  I see no great advantage myself, but hey, have fun!
There's really no need for that much purchase (4 to 1)on the lightly loaded mainsheet of the Weekender. If you like a traveler for its sail control (better angle of purchase), then feel free. One can get away with 2-1 without any problem, I think (especially if using a hexaratchet.)

Mike
I have a line across my taffrail with a block for my traveler. pure and simple. Eventually I might replace it with a bronze rod like a beetle cat would have.
I agree with Warren and will probably set up the same system on mine. I originally had mine over rigged and would pay the price with a lack of response by the main in light wind, especially if you're using 3/8" sheets. I now have eyes on port and starboard and have the rigging in a 3:1 set up, but I suspect I'll probably want to go the way Warren has his. I kind of stayed away from it originally because I have a tiller, but so does he. I find that I don't usually raise my tiller very far anyway and I don't need too much clearance. The simpler....the better.
The only thing you might keep in mind is if you camp cruise and want to sling a boom tent, then the tiller is nice in the vertical  position out of the way to get a good fit.  If you are somewhere without mosquitoes then this doesn't matter so much.
I've decided to keep my setup the same as "Joel Sacho's Island girl",  Since I'm using a tiller I'll use the rope traveler above the tiller for now  but will work on the transom traveler system idea.
I agonized over this problem for a long time!  I decided to take the easy way out.  My Weekender has a lazarette hatch.  I plan to add a support under the taffrail at the midpoint and attach a block for the main sheet there.  I think that's what Peter Stevenson did on his new Weekender.

Dave