BYYB Forums

Full Version: Another New Builder: Mini-Skipjack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jodi Auborn

Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum and just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Jodi, and I'm located in upstate NY, between Lakes George and Champlain.  They're both beautiful boating lakes. 

I'm making the original Mini-Skipjack (the 12' one) from the book "Sailboats You Can Build," by Peter Stevenson.  So far, I have the hull bottom and deck pieces lofted and cut out, and the bulkheads, transom, and corbels measured and ready to cut.

My father and I had built a little skipjack from this book when I was in 10th or 11th grade, so that would be about 16 or 17 years ago.  I remember that I had done the lofting and measuring, sanding, and painting, while Dad did the woodworking itself.  So, this is my first time building anything all on my own.  I have little experience using power tools, so I'm learning as I go along!  I'd like to build a Weekender at some point, but figure I should get some experience in both building and sailing before I tackle a bigger boat.

[Image: normal_Skipjack_Cricket_1994.jpg]The skipjack "Cricket," first sail.  1994.

As you can see, we didn't completely finish the boat (the rubrails, trailboard, a better-made sail, etc.)  We were going to do that after we tried it out, but never got around to it.  Unfortunately, I only got to use it once.  It floated beautifully - nothing wrong there - but it really needed a boat trailer, and I had no way to get it to a lake myself.  So it just sat in my mom's backyard for years, covered with a tarp, and it slowly rotted away. :'(  It was a shame, because we had worked hard on it. 

So now, I don't want to make the same mistake with this one: I'm building and storing it in my walkout basement, and am going to look for a cheap little boat trailer for it.  I'm excited about working on it, and hope to get as much done on it this spring as I can.  Its name is going to be "Thunder Lady" (unless I think of something I like better), and will be cream-colored, with white and dark-red trim. 

I'm looking forward to learning from you all! 
Hello Jodi. I'm new as well. I just got my plans yesterday for the weekender that I am building. There is a lot of grat information here, as well as a bunch of great people.

Good to have you!

David
Ahoy and welcome aboard. If you have any questions, just fire away as our folks here will have answers for you. i'm not new but still building my vacationer, i'm trying to see if I can get longest time to build one lol.
Great to have ya here with us. If there is anything any on us can do Just say the word.

Brian.
Glad to hear you're starting on another Skipjack. It looks like the one you and your father did was nice. Maybe missing a few pieces, but by no means unfinished! There are a lot of experienced builders here who are ready to help, so ask away if you have any questions.

As far as the original Skipjack plans, I'd use epoxy or something like Gorrila Glue instead of the old plastic resin glue. There have been a few improvements in materials in the past third of a century! Otherwise, have fun and send pics!

Mike

Jodi Auborn

Thanks for your welcomes and advice, David, Brian, and Mike!  Smile The skipjack is coming along slowly.  It seems that I have to keep recharging my battery-powered jigsaw after every few long cuts.  The other day I got the two bulkheads, transom, and corbels cut out, and bought the rest of my lumber.  I'm hoping that once the rest of the pieces are cut out, the assembly itself will go quicker.  

I'll be posting some building pictures on the Builders Bulletin Board soon.
Jodi, how nice to have you on board. It looks like you have more experience at this than a lot of sailors here. Its always good to hear comments from the feminine prospective on sawdust. Keep us appraised and send pics. ps enjoyed your website much, my daughter-in-law loves horses and I'm sure she will enjoy your book that I'm getting her. Warren :Smile