BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender Sails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am ready to retire my home-made tarp sails for dacron purchased sails....I don't have any experience with what I should be looking for in a good well built sail.  I am curious what experience some of you have had with Sails that you have purchased from various places like Duckworks, the Stevensons, etc

I am also open to purchasing some used Sails if anyone is selling a set.

I would appreciate any guidance you can offer!

Thanks
The stevenson site now has a link on sails they are selling...I barely checked it out but there are lots of nice photos (new) and for dacron sails it was $575 a set... and there was another set...I barely looked since I am a long ways from that...

if you need help finding it send me a pm...

matt
The most important thing about sails is understanding how and where you sail.

If you sail in light to moderate winds, like most people and head back to the ramp when winds threaten a reef, then you need light weight fabric (3.6 3.8 ounce) and a single reef point. If you tend to sail in stronger winds and/or forget to reef until the rail is well buried and the rig singing, then you need heavier fabric and two reef points (4.6 - 5.2 ounce). If you're a nut case that likes to bash yourself to death, with small craft advisories blowing and a bone in your teeth, then even heavier fabric (6 ounce), maybe a third reef or better yet a trisail and hanky.

The heavier your fabric requirements, the better the sails have to be made. You can get some really cheap sails out of China, with stamped steel cringles, single row stitching, minimal reinforcement and hand work, etc. These are fine if you take care of them and don't take them into heavy winds very often . If you do they'll stretch out, blow open a single stitched seam, rip out a reinforcement patch, etc. On the other hand, good sails cost money. Anyone that has completed a real sail with real hand work, properly seized cringles, double row zigzag seams, etc., then you'l well know why they cost so much. I happily will pay for good sails, knowing how hard they are to make and how much better they preform and last if done by a pro.
Paul...I know nothing about this...just learning...but I love your response...great advice...(maybe its the wine on a friday, but) much appreciated all the advice you give here...

for all newbs....THANK YOU...

matt, aka NAPAMAN, Napa, CA
Matt, first off, find a way to get on sailboats. Beg, plead, borrow, steal, what ever it takes. Extortion is an effective method as is bartering out your children's labor, the sale or lease of a loved one is a bit risky, but a common ploy too.

I'd recommend you first set of sails be poly tarp. You can make them yourself, by a kit or have them made. They'll last a few seasons with reasonable care and you'll learn a lot about them (mostly what not to do). With your earned experience, you can then make an educated decision about the type of sailing you do and fabric weight, reef points, etc.

Don't thank me, just send beer . . .
Paul makes some sense, even with the beer.  I have gone both routes, made my own and store bought.  In the end, the pro made sails were worth the money.  Sails are what drives you, they are your main motor, and good ones will do the job better then those not quite so good.  Well made sails will last you the life of your boat if cared for.  Making your own is fun too, but in the end, you'll someday buy good sails.
I had a set of sails made by Amen Sails out of Petaluma, they are cream colored and I had used him in the past with my nesting dingy by Danny Green and thought him reasonable. My friend thought he would like a set too. Amen cut a set of white ones for him at the same time he cut mine. My friend decided he didn't want these extra hi-tech sails for $1,200 so he bought some online. He actually never placed an order for those sails. I of course never asked John Amen how much they would be so I too was knocked down when I picked them up, however I can now say I'm glad I have them, they are very well made and good looking.
These white sails are now waiting for Matt if he wants them for $500. Considering the quality of these sails they are a steal.
I had mine made by Douglas Fowler and they are very nice. From my limited experience I'd say if you can get a "good" set for $500, you're doing very well. Doug gave me a very good price, but asked that I not share that with anyone. He wouldn't offer them at that price again. Needless to say, I love them and consider myself fortunate to have such a nice set.
Hey Tom, Tom Sawyer days this weekend in Petaluma sponsored by the friends of the river. Enter at southeast side of D st. bridge. I'll be there tomorrow for the breakfast. 
true paul...get in the boats...on that not I start sailing lessons with the Vallejo Yacht Clubs "learn to sail program"...it will be a weekly class going deep into summer...and then an intermediate class starts from there...In addition to the lessons I hope to make some contacts and meet good people...and maybe that wil increase my sailing time...

But I have about 16 straight saturdays locked up for now!

Matt
Pages: 1 2