BYYB Forums

Full Version: mast and boom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello again,have the top primed and just picked up spar lumber. I am from calif. but am in n.c. now and had a really hard time finding untreated fir 4x4s........in cal they are used for all types of construction,headers etc. but here they  look at me as if I were crazy to ask for such a thing..................cost an arm and leg too! Anyway, it's really heavy......was wondering if I could cut down the dimensions for the mast to lighten it up a bit......................I've seen it written that it is overbuilt..........also, the dimensions for the boom are a full 2x3 or 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 ?  also,are there any rigging mods for the shrouds and or other attachment points? the further I get on this project the more I enjoy it! thanks bruce
upon reading the plans again it is obvious the correct dimensions on the boom are 2 1/2 x 1 1/2  oops......  the gaff boom says 74 but not sure where they are measuring from at the yoke................I just made it up and left the end wild for now..............rudder and box are completed but still need to find a good idea for my tiller handle, any ideas    thanks    bruce
The eastern answer to to western Fir Lumber Is Souther Yellow Pine. Now I know Keith Mclean used Clear Spruce 2"x4"'s for his Mast and Boom. What he did was glue together 3, 2x4's and Planed them down a bit to fit and so far since '05 they jave held up Nicely, He alternated the grain as well to reduce any twisting that may occur.

Brian.
I've built masts for this size boat before from 4 layers of 1x4 (.75x3.50 planed) and never a problem.  Both from spruce and pine and not completely clear either.  Alternate the knots, epoxy them up and plane them to shape.  These were also unstayed masts with the same amount of sail up as a weekender, never a break in years of use.  Spruce is strong and light  and an excellent choice and my current weekender mast is a spruce tree in service now over 20 years, looks new.