BYYB Forums

Full Version: Paint Ordered
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I ordered my paint today.  I ordered 1 gallon of Interlux Epoxy barrier kote primer, 1/2 gal of Interlux Perfection Key Largo Blue and 1/2 gal of Interlux Perfection Snow white.  I hope it'll be enough...  The $$$ keeps adding up darn it.
Perfection is a two part polyurethane and costly (as you know). It needs to go on really stable surfaces. This generally means the paint needs to go over a few layers of epoxy at least, not primer coated wood.

I'm familiar with Lauderdale Blue, Royal Blue, Mauritius Blue and Flag Blue in the Perfection line from Interlux, but not Key Largo Blue. Now their Brightside line of single part polyurethane paint has a Largo Blue, which is a medium blue (a subdued electric blue) and more importantly half the price of the LPU (Perfection). Brightsides can go over primer coated wood.

A few drops of the Largo blue in the can of white will give it a very slight blue tint, which may not glare as badly as bone white can in direct sun. It'll sort of "soften" up the white a touch. Naturally, you need to mix in a few drops and check the color, then mix in a few more. It's easy to darken a light color, but much harder to lighten it, once you've "crossed the line" and gone too far.

Wait a minute, Snow White is a LPU color. Maybe you should check your products and make sure you don't have one of each (a single part and a two part) as they aren't interchangeable.

The single part paints will be in the $40 range at full retail and the LPU's about $80 a quart.
Paul,  Oops, it's lauderdale blue.    here's the link.  It wasn't too bad in price. Less than $50 a qt.  http://www.boatersland.com/intpaintfin.html
Has anyone else had good luck with the Interlux Perfection paint?
Besides it being difficult to apply well by hand, no. If you have reasonably controlled conditions and follow instruction to the letter, you'll have very good results. It requires good LPU painting technique, but other wise isn't any more difficult then any other LPU's.
Yeah, my experience is about like Paul's. I find the one-part MUCH more forgiving, and nearly as strong-seeming, personally. I also think the one-part covers amazingly, while I think the two-part doesn't cover well at all. The two-part is really tough-seeming when on though, so that's nice. If I had a nice space to work, I probably would tend to the two-part. For most of our jobs, they've been outside or partially so, and the one-part seems to be happier (and quicker to set up.) I think a builder would be well-served with either choice.

Mike

(oh yeah: we have been applying by roller and brush. No idea about spraying with this paint...I can't imagine why a person would, actually.)