BYYB Forums

Full Version: Returning Builder (posted intro in wrong place)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I posted an intro the other day but put it in the wrong place. I was planning to build a Vacationer a while back but life got in the way and I pushed it to a back burner - way back. Now I guess I have taken another look at priorities and have decided that life is too short to not do one or two things that you want to do...just for the enjoyment of it. I had a talk with the wife and kids and they have offered their enthusiastic support for this crazy boat thing of mine - as long as I include them in the adventure...and fix a thing or two around the house from time to time.

I had originally planned to build a Vacationer but I am still going back and forth between that and a Weekender. We have 5 kids but we couldn't all fit on a Vacationer either so maybe I'll go with the Weekender after all. There is a short term plan though.......

I was thinking of building a small boat to get my feet wet. I looked at a couple easy plans that look like even I could build. I still obviously have to make a couple of decisions but one big decision has been made; I WILL BUILD A BOAT - SOON.

Looking forward to sharing the experience with all of you.
Welcome David,
I say skip the feet wet build and just jump in knee deep on a weekender.
I'm glassing the bottom on mine now.
you'll have a great time building it especially if you include the kids in the fun.

Fair winds
Dan
Why don´t you build two Weekenders in parallel? You could fit the whole family in them and you could even have club races in the family  ;D

I have five kids, too, although three of them are already living on their own. Boating with the kids is one of the best things I know and when they grow into it they want to go with Dad even when they are teenagers and anything with Dad involved is stupid by default  Tongue
Last night I said: "I have an announcement to make - I'm going to build a boat". The kids' reply..."so build it already, will ya" :-\ Guess it's time to get going on this thing.

Seriously though, I have read through some old posts and a question has been asked a time or two as to if a first time builder should build a Weekender or a Vacationer. The answers have been rather vague - build what you want to, sort of thing. What would you all suggest for a first timer? Vacationer or Weekender? There has to be a better choice, all things being equal. Obviously the Vacationer is going to cost more, take more time, etc. But what other differences are there? Maybe there is an even better model that I haven't considered?

Any thoughts?

How long have your plans and dreams been around? I kept dreaming for 22 years, enough for the family to go up from five to seven people and back down to four  8)

I think from building point of view there isn´t much difference between those two. Just pick the one that suits your planned use.
Ahoy and Welcome David, good to meet you sir. well I guess I will begin this answer by saying yes I am biased based on my choice but have no oppinions when it comes to folks personal choice of boat. It all depends on your need's.

I have been luckey enough to have been on 3 of the Stevensons designs, and I must say I do like them all, Of corse the Vacationer bieng my favorite as that is what I chose.

I chose it because of the room on bord, a weekender is really good for a couple and maybe a kid. "my oppinion mind you" I am a fairly big guy. I feel the vacationer gives you the room that you would need. the added convienence of a porta potty on board (for the wife and kid's mainly and less trips to shore).  But it also allows you room to stow coolers, and anything you may need out there, it has a very good size cabin for camping in, or getting out of the sun and into some shade/out of the cold/etc...

I love the Weekender's as well as they are a vacationer mini  Wink

All in all when we have gathered with the BYYB SE fleet, I have hung out on Keith Mclean's vacationer, and what a treat I must say. there seems to allway's be room for everyone who want's to come aboard and have some fun.

So my biased oppinion would be to build the bigger of the two get it out of your way, and Enjoy it. Yes the weekender is a cheaper and quicker build, But i feel there is more leg, head and all around room on a vacationer, which makes it alot more versitile fo changing need's. and very accomodating for most of your sailing need's.
I am Still Building my vacationer, I am a procrastinator delux though I should have been done long ago.
I've been taking my time thinking of differant things to do to it, I made some modifications to mine which I found out when you change 1 thing it has the potential to change everything (and alot of times will) but it has been a fun adventure, and great hobby. I just cant wait to get it on the water now though. I have been working on it alot lately, (i hadn't touched it in a long time) and Just love it.

The choice is Mainly yours to make But concider what you want to do with your boat. and how close a quarters you will want.

Ok that's my 2 cent's. I love all of the boats But i'm building the one i like the most.

Brian.
I read somewhere that the plans for the Weekender are more complete and easier to understand then the Vacationer - something about the Weekender package being around longer. Is this still the case or has this issue been resolved by now?
Hi David!  Welcome.  Tough question, which boat to build.  I like the Vacationer, but being a novice sailor, i felt the Weekender was a better choice for my first build.  I anticipate most of my sailing will be my wife and myself.  If I get the itch, I may build a Vacationer next.
The Vacationer came out a couple years after the Weekender, in 1983 (if memory serves still). There has been a new set of Weeknder plans but not yet for the Vacationer. That's likely later this year, though. Either or both sets of plans work well, we think, so decide based on your needs, not the plans, as I think is well stated above.

Welcome, and have fun!
Mike