BYYB Forums

Full Version: Gaff jaw question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finished the gaff with the jaws as per the plans.  However, I didn't use a mast box, but rather a tabernacle like Ryerson Clark's "San Souci".  The gaff jaws are not wide enough to span the combined with of the mast and the two tabernacle sides (7-1/2").  Will this create a problem raising, lowering and transporting the gaff, and do I need to rethinK the gaff jaws?  I know this is not a problem for Ryerson because his boat has a balanced lug rig.

Dave
(03-27-2010, 07:40 AM)Dave Blake link Wrote: [ -> ]I finished the gaff with the jaws as per the plans.  However, I didn't use a mast box, but rather a tabernacle like Ryerson Clark's "San Souci".  The gaff jaws are not wide enough to span the combined with of the mast and the two tabernacle sides (7-1/2").  Will this create a problem raising, lowering and transporting the gaff, and do I need to rethinK the gaff jaws?  I know this is not a problem for Ryerson because his boat has a balanced lug rig.
often lead to additional issues.
Dave

If you plan to transport and store the gaff below the tabernacle, you will have problems unless you make the gaff jaws wider or remove it.  If you are going to use mast hoops for your sail, they may need to be made larger to slide below tabernacle too.  Check the clearance on the jaws and do what you have to do.  (Also look at clearance at the top of the mast.  Gaff jaws tend to jam there and if you make them wider, you may have a jamming issue.)

Beware of seemingly simple changes - they often lead to unforseen issues.