BYYB Forums

Full Version: Keel Lumber
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Scott Kirkland

Having trouble finding 1x12 lumber in #2 pine.  However, the material is available in 2".  I am considering buying 2x12's and planing them down.  Anybody have experience planing down larger boards? ???
Sweet God don't plane a 2x12 down to a 1x12. For no other reason then it will kill your planer, make a barn sized mound of wood dust and waste perfectly good 2 by stock.

Use 1x6 and stack them edge to edge to make up the difference. Buy as long of pieces as you can get (typically 16'). This forces them to cut from bigger trees which is better wood and less likely to have knots or other defects.

Also, if you go through the 2x12 pile in the 16' long section, you'll find several that are nearly perfect. They'll have straight grain, no knots and will be good stuff. Grab as many as you need for all the stringers, cleats, supports, etc. You can rip these down for perfect quarter sawn 1x2's on a table saw.

I'd be tempted to use a 2x12 as an inner core in the keel, then use 3/8" plywood on each side to finish out the thickness of the deadwood (keel) assembly. The plywood will help stabilize the 2x12's and there's a lot less pieces to fit together, plus the 2x12 will have plenty of meat to hold bottom plank fasteners. Just a thought from someone that has built a couple of boats.

Scott Kirkland

Thanks for the info Paul.  I think I will go with the 1x6 idea.  That does sound better than planing down bigger boards. 
Paul gives good advice Smile  I went with a 16 foot 2x12 and that was that.  I felt the full thickness was a bit overkill anyway.

Pat Norman

Any tips for finding the longer lumber needed for the Vacationer keel and stringers?
All of the big box stores will carry 16' lumber. If you need pieces longer then this you can scab, scarf, butt block, laminate or other wise lengthen the piece as desired.
What about a 2x12 and a 1/2" or are those just as hard to find as 1"??? 

I am also about to start buying keel and stringer wood...WOOT...

matt
Please clarify your question.
Matt, you would not be able to lock the stem in with a 2" X 12" and 1/2" boards, you need the 3 pieces as the plans show. Warren
Or stick to just one 2x12 if you feel confident in adjusting the plans a bit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4