BYYB Forums

Full Version: Epoxy spars, trailboards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do I really need to epoxy the spars, mast abd trailboards, or are three coats of a good spar poly adequate.  I'd like to avoid the extra work, but I suspect the answer is that epoxy is best.

Dave
Dave epoxy under the spar or urethane coat is prefered but not required.  Typically in Florida that three coats of clear is good for 6 months before it needs refreshment.  Epoxy must be covered with a UV inhibiting cover anyway.  Most of us use epoxy for abrasion resistance under the clear coat intended to protect the poxy. Your call.
I figured you'd say that, Craig!  Everything else on the boat is glassed/epoxied... why stop with the spars?

Dave
Dave,  do you mind me asking what kind of paint you are using for the inside of your boat and the outside?
I recently sailed from Petaluma ca. to Stockton Ca. (the California Delta) and we had wind 20 gusting to 30 kts while jibing the top bolt came out and the mast broke at that point. I wrapped glass tape around the mast after repairing the damage. Were I to build another boat I can tell you I would wrap the mast at this point for sure!Zignman
Mike:  I've yet to decide on paint, but the inside of the boat will be bright i.e. finished with spar varnish over epoxy.  Much of the deck will be the same.  The hull will be navy blue, white between the rub rails.

Dave
Dave, I saw you are epoxying everything before you put the sides on.  I am planning on using 3m 5200 for all the inside the cabin corners and the using Kilz premium primer and Behr interior latex semi gloss in all the inside spaces..  The only areas I intend on totally epoxying with glass is the cockpit, and hull bottom. But i am going to epoxy the lazzerette.        I'm still gonna use latex paint on the outside as many builders have done.
I finished all my spars with a 50/50 mix of thinner and spar varnish one coat, then followed with 6 coats of full strength spar varnish, drying between each coat. It worked well for me.

Greg
Does anyone besides me use a mast ring at the top?  Just slides on the mast no holes no worry. Bud.
Bud

I'm in the process of making one.  Got any pics/specs/dimensions/suggestions that might make the job easier.  I'd preferr to make one properly rather than make one find out it could have been done better, make another find out it could have been done better, make another...ad nauseam.

Thanks,

Ken