BYYB Forums

Full Version: Resin turned white!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some questions Paul can likely answer.  I'm using Marinepoxy, which has been sitting in the basement (temperature at floor level about 60 degrees).  I haven't used any for about a month or more.  Today I went to mix up a batch, and the resin had turned thick and milky-colored, plugging the pump.  I had to disassemble the pump, clean it and start over.  The hardener was fine.  What happened?  Temperature or humidity?  What can I do to prevent it from happening again?

Dave

Epoxy will cloud when it gets really cold. Place the resin jug in a bucket of warm water. Hot water straight from the tap will usually un-crystallize the resin molecules and it'll clear right up. Stirring while heating will speed this up, but it doesn't take long. Most epoxies will prefer being stored and especially being used at room temperature. An easy way to store epoxy without contaminating your home, is to use a cooler (yep, the thing you keep beer in while out on the boat). Most moderate to good quality coolers have well sealed lids, most with a latch. Place you epoxy containers inside this and keep it inside the house where you have 70 degree temperatures. Drag the cooler into the garage, basement or shop when you need to mix goo, but return the epoxy carrier to nice comfortable temperatures as soon as you're done. No fumes will escape (they're heavier then air and will be contained in the cooler) and the goo will have nice viscosity when it's time to use it. So, stop at a yard sale and pick up an epoxy storage case (used cooler) for a 5 dollar bill. Get one with a good fitting lid.
Thanks, Paul.  Great idea using the cooler!

Dave