BYYB Forums

Full Version: Another new- old guy member.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

John Mander

I found B.Y.Y.B. through the Stevenson Project's website. Read a bunch of the posts and decided that the Weekender would fill my present needs. So my daylight basement has become "Fiddler's Green". Had to move the kayak to one side. Pushed the motorcycle into a corner, and have coated everything with a fine patina of sawdust. The plans and video are a great combination. Have learned a whole bunch of new tricks with a hand held skil saw. I always did everything on a table saw and required a helper on cutting long boards.  Now I can make mistakes in private.  Previous projects include : 8 foot dinghy, 10 foot scow, 27 foot Pacific Seacraft "Orion", 50 foot Cross Trimaran. They all floated! Am really enjoying this project.  John M.
Love the Cross tris Smile  Have fun!

John Mander

Succinct!    John M.
Welcome aboard John. Just came off the Petaluma river with my "Rosebud" and checked in, great sail here. Last month sailed from Petaluma to Stockton in 20-25 kts. These little boats are stiff! From one old guy to another, have fun. Life is a journey not a destination. Warren aka Zignman

John Mander

Thanks to all for the Welcome Aboard.  I probably qualify as a "Senior", new member due to age. It shows dramatically when I forget why I am searching for a missing canuten valve.  Or when I tell someone that my first boat building experience was completing a 'Kit' from Chris Craft company. 
      We did not get all the way to Petaluma, but my wife,Terri and I wintered over aboard our Cross Trimaran at Vallejo. We were there when "Humphrey" the wayward whale went up the Sacramento River.  We explored much of the surrounding waters either on The Tri or in our powered dinghy, and enjoyed it a lot. Navigating in the Tule fog was very exciting.
    The Weekender reminds me of my first  kit boat and building Heathkit products. Even when you (I), deviate from the written instructions - not all is lost. It just takes a full morning to retract the improvement and return to basics.  John M.      :-\
We are trying to put a fleet together in the San Francisco Bay area, so far I have 3 builders in close proximity to Petaluma. Big GrinWarren

John Mander

Warren,  I'm seven hours away from the bay - - - in a Corvette!  8) I'm located about 50 miles due east of Crater Lake National Park. In a high desert area of Oregon. Home waters will be Klamath Lake. It is the largest fresh water lake in the state. It is at the base of the Cascade mountains and is very shallow. Winds dropping off the mountains can create havok with shallow water. Well designed boats, such as the Stevenson designs are real assets in such conditions. 
    I have been surprised by happenings in the past and who knows, perhaps the Northern Bay and the Delta area may be in our future.  Today's snowfall was a great excuse to stay inside and smear glue.  John M.
Building the weekender was lots of fun for me too. I can't deal with the snow so I'm as far north as I can be. Perhaps you will be able to do the Columbia 150 next year? There was a good article in Small Craft Adviser's issue before last about the cruise. Great little mag. if you haven't seen it. <smallcraftadviser.com> We could snag you and your boat on the way up. Enjoy the build, Warren aka Zignman.
Greetinmgs Warren,

Was this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK8G_8DJCKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk4Qeboo1gM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztXCp8yoz9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REHtfGx_I94

I found them on You-Tube last year, all labeled Columbia 150.

One is labeled as Andy and Jon, but you can never tell with You-Tube.

Cheers,
Tom
No that was the guys that attended the very first Columbia 150 last year. You can see that article in a nice mag. called "SMALL BOAT ADVISOR". What I liked about the article was the boats all reefed and some dropped their sails altogether but the weekender raised everything and plowed right on! Kicked all their butts.