BYYB Forums

Full Version: Need help with plans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,  I'm having trouble lofting the aft upper deck and need help becuase the plans are very vague.  I measured in 13" then ran a line all the way to the other end diagonally.. My question is then do you space the lines at 12" intervals along that line? and then carry the lines 90 degrees out to the edge of the board?  Because if so that makes the edge lines more than 12" apart or am I doing something wrong?      ??? :Smile
Mike:

Presuming that you are talking about figure 5 in the Weekender plans, those lines run perpendicular to the diagonal line and are 12" apart all the way down.  Use the actual dimensions on the right hand side of the page for your measurements.  After the first piece is cut out, you can flip it over and just trace it for the other side.

The actual diagonal line isn't in itself really important - it's just to give you a base line for the other measurements.

I hope that made sense.

AndrewB
Yes thanks..    Big Grin  The only important angle that i am worried about is on the side where the 2    7" wide side decks meet.  But I plan on cutting it longer and then laying everything out on the floor to make sure everthying fits then i can just trim it to fit..
I cut everything a bit big and trim after it's on the hull.
This is funny...because I am struggling with this exact same concern...the plans now come with a "correction" sheet that tries to re-explain this...but the correction sheet is not clear...

So let me ask this---in the original plans---is the sketch of the MID-DECK correct? and draw the mid line WITHOUT an angle...

It is the AFT-deck piece that you do the angle???  My problem is that in the correction sheet they make it look like you cut out a mid-deck piece with an aft deck piece on the same piece of ply...so its confusing...

Matt
Hey Matt,
I hope I'm understanding what your asking, about the angles of the ends where the upper decks meet.
If you look at the plans closely there is no special angle it's just 90 deg from center, the mid deck pieces
begin and end at the 4' sides of the plywood and the aft deck pieces are on a 90 deg pattern as well, the
aft joint is on the center line and the joint that meets the center deck is 90 deg from the center line.
  I didn't get an update sheet so I'm not sure about that but I got my plans a year ago and Dark Wind
went together just fine.

Dan
I got my plans last April and have the Keel finished and on to the next steps and after reading your post read the up-dates that came with the plans and liked the up-dates on screws & glues, great money saver if fiber glassing everything after the construction.
From what I understand building a Weekender is a matter following the plan, reading the plan book as The Stevensons explain every move of the saw,etc.

Alan
ALan...I agree...I dont want to change/modify anything...just trying to figure out the drawing on the update sheet I got...I bought my plans in November???Â