BYYB Forums

Full Version: Beautiful 40 degree day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know the east is gettin 20-30" inches of snow but her in Montana I was a balmy 40 and I actually got some work done on the Super Skipjack.  I cut the Bow gussets and cut and dry fitted the mast box.  I know that's about 15 minutes worth of work for some of you pro builders but I messed around a couple of hours with it.  Still too cold for glueing but I can at least bring the mast box inside and get it assembled.    I plan to work a little on the boat trailer until the weather really breaks if I can ever get my hands on it.  I picked up a homebuilt trailer on Craig 's list for $100.  It's been sitting for a while but the tires were good.  The guy pulled it 30 miles to my folks' place where it's been sitting since September.  Over Thanksgiving I got a VIN# stamped into it but there it sat.  My 70yr old mom is going to pull it on the back roads to the DMV station to get the number inspected this week.  I'm hoping I can get the paperwork back and get a license for it so I can pull it the 180 miles to my house where i can work on it a little.  Posted a couple of pictures.  I know someone mentioned needing a boat cover a while back.  This is a Harbormaster 14-16' cover from Walmat  $50.    Not the greatest fitting but It's keeping the snow off better than a tarp would.  Might Fit a Weekender; LOD of Skipjack is just under 14' and it' got a lot of room to spare.
There is nothing about a "balmy 40" degrees that's desirable, except is a few degrees away from a good beer.
Yeah except it's 40 degrees warmer than here.
Took me some time to convert into civilized units  Tongue

We have had a long period of really cold weather, below zero F for weeks and even -15F. Now it is maybe 25F which is Winter at its best. But none of this has any effect on boat building, because the shop is a steady 70 all year long  ;D
We've had an unusual winter so far this year as well Timo. Unusual for us, is wet and/or cold. We've had both. We had 11 days in a row, where temperatures dipped below freezing (at some point of the day). For us this means an hour or two in the early hours of the morning, we freeze. This year we've had several nights of 5 and 6 hour frozen stretches. This has all but killed my lawn and several plants. We haven't seen temperatures like this in several decades and have broken many records.

I want my regular winter back, where we have nice high 60's low to mid 70's during the day and 50's at night. Good sleeping weather. You can switch to regular speed hardeners and the bugs are all dead or dormant, so working outside or with clear coats is a joy. By the end of the month we'll be back in the low 80's (been there twice already this year) as daily highs and lows in the upper 50's or lower 60's.
Greetings all,

Sunday, January 31, the mercury busted 40F, no-wind, sunshine ... tee-shirt weather in Chicago.

We all suited up and pedaled our bicycles for a nice 36 mile ride.  ;D

One of these days I have to install a proper heater in the garage.  It's been ~40F in there for a month now.

Cheers,
Tom