BYYB Forums

Full Version: Thank heaven for Graigslist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
    I posted an add for used sails on saturday, today I was able to buy a great set of sails from a 38ft boat for, are you sitting  FIFTY DOLLARS. I will be able to make both the sails for my Vacationer from the jib. The best part they are white with a blue trim, the same blue I have just finished painting the hull. Graigs is a great source for fitting out our boats, I have found my anchors and most of my deck fittings there.
    A big shout out for the Stevensons I had lost page four of my plans along the way, I emailed them with my problem three days later I received it in the post.
Yes,. that's a good find, but honestly, $50 sails for 38' yachts will likely be quite stretched out. More over the material used in larger vessel sails is considerably heavier then that which is used on a 16' day sailor. As a result the camber and draft of the sail will be all over the place and your light air ability greatly reduced. Since these boats are eventually fair weather boats (light air), if you can back out of this deal, it may be best advised.
Wht the heck is Graigslist?
We'll assume it's Craig's list . . .
              Thanks Paul for your advice,this morning I took the sails to our local sail maker to pick his brains.He told me the sails had had very little use and it would be a crime to cut them up, anyway this is the way things ended up, he gave me $200
for the jib & main and will make me a set of sails for my boat out of the spinnaker
which has a few rips it but is the right material for my boat. SOME DAYS THE GODS ARE WITH YOU.

The guy I brought the sail from, works for the saitation dept in the Hamptons, The Hamptons as I an sure you know Paul is the summer play ground
for the rich from New York City, the sails had been put in the garbage, hope the nut is having a nice day on wall street because I sure as hell am.