BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tom, new info on airlift
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From Air Force sources:

"Air Mobility Command officials said Thursday that AMC  transports have already logged more than 473 sorties to Haiti since Jan. 13 as part of the massive international relief effort there. C-130s and C-17s have brought nearly 2,250 tons of food, water, medicine, equipment, and other gear and about 2,000 passengers to the earthquake-ravaged nation, while evacuating almost 2,000 US citizens. Meanwhile, Pacific Air Forces has dispatched three C-17s from Hickam AFB, Hawaii, and four C-17s from Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, to Charleston AFB, S.C., from which they will fly relief missions. And Air Forces Southern is exploring whether an airfield can be opened in the Haitian coastal city of Jacmel to relieve the burden on the Port-au-Prince international airport, the main relief artery thus far, and increase the flow of help."

Who does Greg fly for, Canadian Forces or a private concern?
Greg is with "First Air" a private firm.
Thanks Ryerson.  A very interesting firm that First Air.  Mr Bradley must have been quit a guy!  One of my shirt tail cousins flew for an airline out that way but I don't know which.  He's be damn near 90 by now if he is still alive.  I'll have to ask my brother about him. 
The airport at Porto au Prince is pretty busy, with holds of up to and hour before landing. The tower was destroyed, and ATC was using portable comm equipment. Runway was still intact, thankfully. The Canadian Forces were starting to use the shorter field at Jacmel. There was talk of our company possible operating into there? I'm back home for now, and may return to the relief effort as early as next week.

Greg
Glad to hear you are back for a while Greg.  From your firms Bio it looks like this work is right up First Air's alley.  It looks from here like that is going to be a hell of a mess for some time to come.  They wern't doing so hot therre before the earth quake!  Thanks for your service there Greg.  8) 8) 8)
Aye God bless ya Greg, your doing yer fellow man right mate. thank you for your efforts sir.

Brian.