BYYB Forums

Full Version: Pocket Cruiser Canadian Style!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
My name is Sean Stepney, and I am beginning a pocket cruiser this winter. I know a fair bit about building, but jack about sailing.  I have modified some of the materials in the plans already, and would love to recieve input as to my choices.
The keel and stem have been constucted from red oak. This is because my first keel attempt was a bloody disaster!

I lofted the first out of clear spruce, laminated, left it for 2 days. the result was a 30 degree twist. After an impromptu swearing clinic, I decided to buck up and use some seasoned oak that I have been hanging onto. I am hoping that the finished product will be worth it, because I have already decided for style as opposed to cost efficiency....

I have not noticed any other canadians, I would love to see a finished product. I am fortunate to actually live on a fairly large lake, so the build seemed a logic evolution. I will upload photos as the build progresses.
Hey Sean, welcome to the board Eh! There are several Canucks around. Our True North Fleet is in Yellowknife NT. has Weekenders and a Vacationer.  Andrew Butchart is in Southern Ontario with a Weekender, Shawn Hancock in Sask. with a Weekender, Steve Goodman in BC, with a Weekender. There were a few guys on the old board building Stevenson boats in Winnipeg. I may have missed a couple more.

I considered a PC as my second choice for a vessel. My son is considering a PC build, It'll likely wait until has cashflow situation improves.

Where abouts to you live? Not sure about the Red Oak keel, it's not a great wood for marine use, below the waterline.

If we can offer any help or advice, let us know.

Greg
I live in Alberta, 1 hour west of Edmonton on Lake Isle. I am fortunate to have 3 sailing lakes within 10 minutes of the house. I figured somebody had to begin reclaiming the lakes from the seadoo and wakeboard crowd!

My thoughts on the keel are as follows; if I epoxy and varnish the entire thing, (minus glass) this should seal the pores fairly well. I have a canoe that my father made in the 70's, red oak and varnish only, has survived reasonably well until now.

Further idea is to create a copper keel cap so when I beach, the keel will not grind on the shore. Any thoughts as to sealing the keel? All input is appreciated. I have included a photo of the progress thus far......
Your PC looks great, and that is a nice shop you have there. I'd think that sealing the keel well should over come the problems that plague red oak. My Vacationer keel is pine, with a centre lamination of 3/4 plywood, the keel is covered with two layers of 10 oz. cloth. After 6 summers of sailing, the keel is quite intact. I sustained some damage on a rock, and during repairs removed the glass and found no rot issues at all.

West of Edmonton, Wabamum Lake, and Lac St. Anne are the two big lakes that come to mind. As I recall Wabamum has an active sailing club. Keep up the work Sean, I get down to Edmonton from time to time, and have a daughter at Red Deer College, perhaps we will be able to meet some time.

Greg
that would be great! lake isle is 6 miles north of Wabamun. I currently have the unrealistic goal of being on the water this summer and would love to show Lake Isle to others who can keep a secret. Wink

sean
Welcome!  If you are looking for ideas and information on wood, epoxy, glues, paints and boat building you have come to the right place.  The knowledge and experience the members of this forum have, and willingly share, are nothing short of amazing.  I will refrain from commenting on your choice of wood for the keel or your decision to glass it but will give you a short head shake and smile on your "goal of being on the water rhis summer".  Now if you were living anywhere near Ryerson Clark your odds of finishing would be better.  He's a fella that can get a boat built and in the water as quickly as anyone I've read comments from.  In the time I built a small 12 foot sailboat I think he's built and sailed 2 or 3 that are a bit bigger.  His secret might be a wife, that loves building and sailing as much as he does, but you'd really have to ask him.  Enjoy the build process and good luck on your summer goal.
Here is some of the progress made on the PC. I went a little slower than I would have liked, but the skiing this year in the rockies is unbelievable. As for the nagging issue of the red oak keel, what is done is done, and I need now to understand all the potential problems it may encounter, and how best to minimize the risks. Any and all information is appreciated.

Remember, this is a prairie boy building a sailboat, I need all the wisdom I can get..... Big Grin
Lets try these images again.....
It's coming along nicely Sean. I think summer launch will be possible. As for suppliers of material you'll need, I've had good service from Boatcraft on 106 st in Edmonton, for hardware, fibreglass cloth, rope, and such. There is a company called Viking Plastic located on Edm south side. They carry a great selection of epoxy supplies, at reasonable prices.

Greg
You're gonna have a nice boat! I like what I see so far. About the red oak, I would epoxy and glass the keel and then lay three or four layers of glass tape on the very bottom. I did this with on weekender with a doug fir keel and five years later it's like new. Putting brass on the bottom might let water to the keel through the fasteners so if you do that be careful about bedding them. Summers commin! Warren. ;D