BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bronze on a Weekender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've gotten to the part in the build where I building spars.  The boom is done, and I'm ready to tackle the gooseneck.  I have a local metal shop that stocks stainless steel strap as well as bronze strap in the sizes need for thestrap on the gooseneck and the backstays.  It would look way better than stainless!  Is it strong enough for those apps?

Dave
The more bronze the better.
Here's what I'm going to use. it's from /www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/rigging/rl328/index.htm only $27.50

Yes, bronze is a great material and I consider it far better the stainless, it is the second best you can use on a boat (Monel or copper/nickle alloys being the best). In fact, good boat hardware is made of bronze and chrome plated.
Bronze turns a nice sea green in time too, more salty looking.
Anybody know a source for bronze eyebolts that don't cost an arm and a leg?  I may have to resort to stainless steel.  If I do, is there any concern if I fit out the eyebolts with bronze washers and nuts?  Galvanic corrosion is a problem in plumbing when two dissimilar metals are in contact, but bronze should be fairly resistant, and the parts aren't really in contact with an electrolytic solution in fresh water sailing.  What do you think?

Dave
If using stainless, use stainless, if using bronze, use bronze, don't mix them. Bronze isn't cheap, both of the base metals that make up this copper alloy are costly, especially now and this has always made bronze expensive. A good hooker isn't cheap either.
Paul:  I understand your point, but there is really little chance of failure if stainless and bronze are in contact, right?  This table would suggest they are "close" on the noble side of the spectrum and should be OK.

Dave
It's likely corrosion will build on the threads and something will bind or strip during removal. Stainless is perfectly acceptable, particularly if you take a magnet with you when you purchase it. It the magnet "sticks" it's 304 which is okay, but not well suited around salt water. If it doesn't stick, then it's 316 and much better for salt water use.

I've had to repair boats that mixed bronze and stainless planking fasteners and I can assure you there is galvanic activity causing problems. Initially, not as quickly as mild steel or galvanized, but enough to cause "iron sickness" in the structure. Of course location will determine how quickly this will occur.
Paul:  I get your point.  Obviously, after a big build. and lots of time, the last thing I want is hardware failure.  I'll stick with stainless for most of the metalwork, bronze for the stays and the gooseneck.  It'll look nice regardless!

Dave
Pages: 1 2