BYYB Forums

Full Version: Painting on your registration numbers and boat name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was time to put my registration numbers on the boat before putting her on the water again. I didn't have time to run around town trying to find someone to cut graphics for me, and I don't like the peel and stick numbers available from stores so I decided I would paint my own. Seems only fitting after building everything on the boat myself. I knew if I did it free hand it would look like crap so I sat down on my computer and printed up what I wanted full size on several sheets of paper. I then put very thin double face tape on the hull. You have to use the plastic tape not the kind with cloth in it and you want to get the widest tape you can find . I then peeled the backer off the tape and placed the full size print on it. The next step is the tricky one but it's really not hard if you have a steady hand. Using a razor blade, several actually, I carefully cut the letters out and peeled them off the hull. You must be carefull only to cut through the paper and tape. It doesn't take much pressure to cut and you can feel what it's doing pretty easily. The razors get dull fast so have plenty on hand when you start. After it's all cut and the letters are removed from the masking rub down the outline of the tape so you don't have any paint get under your templete. Then use whatever paint you want to and peel off the tape when it's dry.
I was very pleased with the way mine turned out and soon I'll be printing up the name for my transom.

[Image: normal_regnumber.jpg]

Keith
Looks really great Keith
thanks for the great idea when i get that far thats what im gonna do
again looks pro.
Bri
Instead of double-sided tape I've used a spray adhesive - I think it was from Elmers. I had fairly poor results due to bleed though along the edges of the letters.

Tom Truesdale

Good tip. One other way to do it.
After you have printed off the letter cover the paper with clear shelf paper or other sticky covering. Cut out the letters using an artist knife or razor blade(s). Then put the double side tape on the hull and place the stencil over it and press down hard. This way you would not be cutting the stencil on the boat.
Tom
There's a great material for just this sort of thing called "Frisket" film and it's available from art supply outfits. It's a plastic film that just needs to be lightly scored with a knife or blade. Once scored, you peel out the pieces and it breaks clean along the score lines. Attached is a lousy photo of the results, using Frisket.

[Image: 25201-1015-2ww-m.jpg]