BYYB Forums

Full Version: weekender progressing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
  well I have the hull all built, with the steering, rudder box, and hatch covers etc.  But today I stripped it and my kids are coming over to help flip it over and put it back in the garage upside down so I can finish the bottom.  Now I have to pick out a color so I can paint it also while I have it upside down.  I have to say that this is a really neat project to take on and I am really pleased the way it is coming out. I am floored at the amount of R and D that the Stevensons have put in to it. It seems they thought of everything. I've watched the video so much that my wife thought they had their own cable TV show.  I still have a ways to go yet with the fiberglassing and painting, then putting all the parts back on.  However I still have another 2 and a half months before Ice out. I'll have to see if the wife can send pictures,{because I can"t}  It,s pretty exciting getting close, can,t wait to go sailing
The rule is: If you talk about your progress, you MUST give us pictures!  Seriously, we'd love to see your progress.  When did you start?

Dave
Tied a couple will start with one... [attachment=1]
Looks great at this stage.  Pretty sure it will float just fine. :Smile  This was an exciting point in the build for me.
Sorry Dave, the settings on the pictures are just too large... Sad
Only found one so far that will go.  But we have a million of them  Smile
Thanks for the reply
I got the plans for father's day, so I read the plans and watched the video over the summer. and I bought the wood right after Thanksgiving, and have been obsessed with it since I had the wood delivered. So I actually started it in late Nov. and I didn't work on it at Christmas, but being an unemployed carpenter I have a bit of time on my hands.
Looks great so far Marc.  Very quick progress.  Is this your first build?  I live in Wisconsin, so work stopped about Thanksgiving (couldn't heat the garage efficiently).  since then I've finished all the hatches, grab rails, hatch guide, rudder box and built my own blocks and cleats, all work I can do in the basement.  BTW, your garage looks strangely familiar.....!!

Dave
Today I tapered the keel and sanded the bottom of the boat. However now I am waiting on Bondo and Fiberglass money so I started working on the figure head.  We took a picture of the figurehead at a low resolution.  Trying for a Triton look.  Got a ways to go!!!  All garages probably look the same when you put a 20 foot boat in it  Smile  and then try to work on it. I did build a cedar strip canoe and a child's dingy But this is way beyond those Smile  [attachment=1]

Marc please don't fillet that boat with Bondo (it is polyester)!  It sucks water, has a radically diffrent thermal coeficient than glass/epoxy that causes delaminations and dimples over time in screw holes.  If you can only use thickened epoxy.  If you are using poly resin then.......

Don't ask how I know  8) 8) 8)
I agree with Craig:  The Stevenson's have converted to epoxy, and thickened epoxy for fillets etc.  The Bondo came about, I believe, as a quick way to do the filleting and fairing when you wanted to get a boat in the water quickly, like during the design phase.  Go with epoxy.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3