BYYB Forums

Full Version: Building a Ply-Flyer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mike Wingard

I am going to build a Stevenson "Ply-Flyer. I can't find any information on this boat. Has anyone built one or does anyone know someone who has? I need any info that might be available. Thanks for your help.

Mike
The MiniCup - which I built quite some time ago - is a very similar boat so ask away!

Pretty much all of the Stevenson boats use the same construction methods so you'll get lots of input.

Mike Wingard

Smile I have my plans. I have the lumber, I have my screws and my glue. The weather calls for rain all day tomorrrow. The weather has warmed up. I am going to start building my Ply-Flyer tomorrow. I have not found anyone who has built one. So I plan on documenting the project on this forum with pictures and commentary. Again, if anyone has built this boat please let me know. Andrew_Butchart you said you have built a Mini-Cup and that it is a similar boat. I may be calling on you for help as I progress with this project.
No problem.

I documented my MiniCup build on my own web site at http://www.floatingbear.ca/

A couple of suggestions as you begin ...
- Only cut out parts as you need them.  I made that mistake and had to do the aft deck twice.
- Have lots of clamps available of multiple types.
- Have a "moaning chair" hand so you can sit, look at your project and either moan about the mistakes you think you've made, or feel satisified with your progress.
- Practically nothing is a fatal mistake - there's usually a way to fix things.
- If in doubt, re-read the plans.  The Stevensons do a great job of documenting the build, but the notes you need are not always in the document where you might expect them, they might be several paragraphs in either direction, or on a figure
- Remember - it's a boat, not a piano - it will get used and abused and doesn't need to look like a museum piece.

Enjoy the build - for some of us, that's the best part.