BYYB Forums

Full Version: Blocking for cleats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone installed blocking on the underside of the deck for cleats? I'm about to build the seats on the weekender and figured it's now or never.
You need to back up all cleats.  You can use panel joiners where they are, but I would glue at least a 1/2 backing strip to the underside of every cleat.  These will function just like the partners for the stays

Dave.
Marc,
my advice is to cut now windows in the bulkhead between the cabin and the room behind seats (see pictures). You can then operate under the deck whenever you want. If you don't like openings, you can close them later with screws, bolts, magnets etc preserving the chance to open them for inspections, new equipments backing, long parts storage or you can use them as secret boxes.
Concerning partners, I cut cabin portholes after fiberglassing, in order to avoid delamination on edges. I Have so available these scraps, thin but strong and wide enough for partners wide from stringer to stringer and attached with washers or thin metal plates.

Gianluigi
Wow. That's a good idea.
I wish I would of thought of that.
That mod is in the Vacationer plans, looks great on a Weekender, you can stuff them with paddles, fishing rods, maps, pool noodles, and of course BEER.

Greg
Unfortunately I don't have Vacationeer plans and I thought to this solution by my own few weeks ago, when I was in the same situation of Marc.
My regret is that with deck and side panels mounted, to cut this openings is quite a hard and long work, while could last few minutes if done at the very beginning, in the preparation of the bulkhead.

Gianluigi
thank you for the insight and the pictures[ they're worth a thousand words] I'm just about there and I think I'm going to do the same thing. Practical and good looking, sounds like a commercial.
                                                      thanks again
                                                          Marc