BYYB Forums

Full Version: Single halyard gaff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I read on "Gaff Riff" about the one halyard system to raise the gaff. I considered it a an experient, but too complicated (i.e. the article was too long and I didn't read it completely...).
Now I recognize that system in the picture in home page (or so it seems to me). Is is true?
How many members have adopted/tested that system?
The article had been written in 2001, therefore I suppose many people have read and tried it: Which are results?

Gianluigi

Personally, I would never go to a single halyard system on a gaff-rigged boat. The peak halyard is adjusted fairly frequently, or should be. In varying wind conditions, you can almost trim it as much as the main sheet, if you really want to maximise your sail shape.

I would caution against over-thinking a lot of these possibilities. Get a boat in the water, then start learning what you enjoy and how you want to change things.

Mike
Aw Mike .... don't be a kill-joy  ;D

Don't you know that over engineering and reviewing all possibilities to the maximum possible is part of the fun?  Although that might explain why it too over 3 years for me to finish - not counting the over-engineering that started even before I made the first bit of sawdust ....
I'm with you Mike Smile
I disagree. I've posted a drawing (in the past) for a single line peak/throat halyard, that works, has over 2:1 advantage, can be scandalized and used in every way a two line system can. It's restricted to a maximum of around 100 sq. ft. of sail area, but is a small boat option, that has been used for hundreds of years successfully. In light of the low friction modern blocks and low stretch lines now available, a reasonable course. On the other hand, you do lose a small amount of fine tuning adjustment, but unless you're racing against other, identically equipped boats, not a real issue.
I would like to see your version, Paul. There have been a couple of different solutions and I have been thinking of a version of my own as well.

Especially where I am going to sail my boat (whenever that will be) I think a single halyard is the way to go.
Yeah, I got to re-thinking this and realised that a method could be worked up so that the throat came tight and then the gaff came tight, etc. The problem I have with this is that I like to keep the gaff level as I drop the main so that minimum tension is on the gaff jaw area while dropping the main; it comes right down , I've found, if one keeps the gaff roughly level. This means a bit of finesse in the slippage one allows through one's hands as things drop, but it works for me.

I didn't mean to be a kill-joy, and I do realise a BIG part of the fun of building anything is adding one's own touches and thinking about what those may be and how they might work. I'm just offering a minor suggestion that it might be better to just jump in and tune things later. Each to their own style though, as always!

Mike
I'm a firm believer in design changes, I made a few on Ginny Rae. Some on the build, and some after getting her wet, having FUN, and seeing ways to personalize things as I went. They should never become a burden, or get in the way of just building and sailing these fun little boats. See you on the waterways.

Greg
Timo, in your plans set, the one that was sent as "Knuuttila-4" and has the different home made block drawings on it, also (in the upper left-hand corner) has the single halyard option shown.

For the rest I've posted the same thing here.

The gaff can come down level, though it'll take some practice to do it cleanly, like most everything else in boat handling.
Timo and Paul,

where can I see these plans set? Can you advice me the best for Weekender?
Do these systems make necessary higher tension on halyard?

Gianluigi
Pages: 1 2 3 4