BYYB Forums

Full Version: Port light and silicone question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm nearly ready to tackle the port lights.  I'm using traditional oval frames I cut out of mahogany.  There will be a rabbet cut in the outside frame to accept the lexan.  The whole thing will be sandwiched together and fastened with brass machine screws, washers and nuts after the paint and finish are completed.  It was my plan to hold the lexan in place, and waterproof the port lights by using silicone caulk.  I have read on the board here: On these boats, NEVER, EVER, USE SILICONE!!  Why?  What do I risk, and is there a better alternative?  The clear silicone would make a neat job of it.

Dave
Dave once applied to something silicone can NEVER be completely removed.  That means paint or adhesives will never again stick to contaminated surfaces.  A better choice would be something like Silkaflex or 3M 4200.  both of these materials hold well and stay pliable.  Unlike 5200 they can both be removed.  They can also be cut with mineral oil (paint thinner) so clean up is easy after installation.  NEVER USE SILICONE ON ANY BOAT!!!!!
If you want a clear caulking you can use geoseal as well as the items that Craig listed. It will paint up, stay flexible, and you can remove it later if you need to
Thanks, guys.  I sorta figured it was about the silicone residue.  The alternatives seem like good options.  I'm planning on 6 oval ports, with the first two forward of the cabin trunk panel joiners.  The curve of those port frames is making me nervous.  Phil Gowan bent his taffrail using boiling water and bath towels!  I'll give it a try on the smaller port frames before attempting my taffrail.

Dave
Remember - heat is more important for bending than wet.  Some people have used a heat gun with good effect - just don't point it anywhere near your epoxy (melt).
Heat is actually the thing for bending. Steam is traditionally used because it was the way to generate heat in the olden times. Humidity also helps transfering the heat deeper in the timber.

Heat gun bending in the bedroom shown here:
[Image: bend04.jpg]

http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/bend/bend.htm

A lot of other interesting stuff on Hannus´s pages as well.
In the bedroom? You must have an understanding wife.

I used Sikaflex, it's very durable, and you can get a primer that will etch the lexan and make sikaflex stick to it as well, so you can seal everything. We use it on seaplane floats at work, it's good stuff.