BYYB Forums

Full Version: Genoa for weekender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have somebody made genoa in weekender?
I was thinking to make one and wonder if someone has experience or even plans for getting it right shape os so?

Thanks
Perttu
Kiitos Timo!

Now I know that it´s lapper not genoa....
These guys have invented their own vocabulary for some things  ;D
Mine is as follows
luff is the same as standard jib,
Leech 141"
Foot   108"  with a 6" roach in the foot, approx 1/3 back of the tack.  It is the same weight fabric as the standard jib.  LIghter fabric could be used if you only use the lapper in light air.

I  have a  luff wire sewn into it for furling.    That is 1/8" 1X19 stainless wire.   It is easier to sew in some additional foam stripping when making it up to fill in evenly when furling it.  I use the Harken Small boat furling system with it.  
I modified my standard jib to use the same system and can change to it when the wind gets to the point of reefing down the main.  When the forecast is for winds above 10 mph. I attach both before heading out.   Two attachment points on the bowsprit.  Standard jib 6" behind the lapper.  The standard jib coiled and dropped into the fore hatch.  When I need to change, all I need to do is furl the Lapper, drop it and change the halyard to the standard jib and raise it.  Stow the Lapper by coiling it into the fore hatch and set the jib on the clubfoot rigging.  Reef down the main.  And continue sailing.  If the winds get to the point where I would need another reefing point,  I call it quits for the day.

Using the Lapper, the Weekender is very well balanced at the helm with just enough weather helm to turn it into the wind when I release the tiller. It dramatically improves the handling at all points of sail and even in extremely light air it tacks well.  

Sailing with other Weekenders or almost any normally faster production boats of similar size, it essentailly walks away from them in any wind conditions.  And when they are all sitting around wating for there to be more than enough wind to move a flame on a match, I'm sailing.

I would recommend that that anyone just getting started with small boat sailing use the standard jib as designed until they are reallycomfortable with fine tuning their rig and it all works smoothly.  Then add the Lapper.  If you try to use the lapper initially and are not used to how your boat performs in a wide range of conditions, including reefing down the main, you may find yourself way over your level of ability to handle your Weekender.  It is a significant increase in the amout of sail area.  Under moderately heavy conditions, and you should have already reefed down the main, you will likely get into trouble.

If you are not comfortable with the Weekender heeled over and pushing the envelop, then stick with the standard jib until you really know and understand your boat and handling it under all conditions.  In moderate air, it will heel over quicker than you will like if you normally prefer to sail with slower response times or without heeling over to the point that the rail may occasionally be under water on a broad reach.  It will heel over faster than you can be ready for if you are not really comfortable and fully understand what you are doing.

Thanks Barry
Perttu, just to follow what Barry was saying: If you have not tried sailing without the "clubfoot", try that first. I removed the clubfoot from my boat last sailing season, and it improved the boat's performance and made it more fun to sail. I found it challenging the first couple of times because it altered the boat's character somewhat. After the first few trips, I got used to it and now I like it better than before. The sail has a great deal more power, and it tacks better. Also, I am now able to back the jib, so i can maneuver better and also make the boat lay a'hull so I can leave the wheel and get a beer, or reef the mainsail, or whatever.

These might be the performance improvements you are looking for, without having to cut another sail! Also, with the clubfoot removed, I found the sail pulled its sheets much harder. If it was much bigger, I'd think about putting winches on the coaming to deal with it, which would be ridiculous on such a little boat, but nevertheless, there is a lot of power there.