BYYB Forums

Full Version: Six10 Epoxy in a tube
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone used the new West System Six10 Thickened Epoxy?  It comes in a cartridge tube, like caulk, and mixes as you squeeze it out.  The maker claims it is structual, permanent and waterproof.  They recommend it for everything from wetting out fiberglass cloth (up to 10oz) to stitch and glue and claim it is perfect for strip plank applications.  It does cost more then bulk epoxy, a lot more.  It costs 17.99 per cartridge at Jamestown and you get 190ml out of each cartridge.  If my conversion math is correct that would be about $358.42/gal.  I guess convenience has its price.  I wouldn't use it for wet out of fiberglass but for strip planking the easy of use, control of application (helping you get an adequate fill and reducing excess squeeze out) might justify the expense.  I say might because some of you may have a great system for the strip plank and stitch and glue applications that you use with bulk epoxy and fillers?  Here's a link to some product information: http://www.gougeonbrothers.com/Six10/PDF...erties.pdf.
I figure I spend about $50 per gallon of thickened epoxy.  I think I'll stick with doing the mixing myself.  It sounds like a complany who is looking for a way to entice folks with low confidence to use the product by talking up the ease of application. 
Terry:  My concern with this delivery system is the same I have with the little tube epoxy kits that are sold.  Once the resin and hardener meet in the tubing, the tube is done!  You must use it all or the nozzle will set up and end your gluing.  If you can plan that far ahead, OK.  I can't.  I still use small tubes of epoxy to mix on the spot for small jobs.  The cost is relatively low, and the whole tube never goes bad.

Dave
I agree with both of you.  You can get extra mixing ends, at a additional cost and of course you lose whats in the the one you take off, but eneve on a big job that used it all it would be very expensive.  I think if it gets down to $4-$5 a tube it will be more marketable.  It might be good planning to take a tube along on a longer voyage, a just in case thing, though. 

I have used a syringe before, to inject thickened epoxy into holes, but it is messy and wasteful also.  It's hard to beat a flat board or in my case a small paper cereal bowl for mixing up epoxy and fillers.  I have mixed batches as small as a teaspoon, when mixed with fillers, for final patching of spots I have missed or added be forgetting a sharper type tool in a pocket while working around the boat.  A bunch of keys in your front pants pocket can make some nasty marks also.  I use bulk "marine epoxy, a 2 to 1 mix ratio.  I don't get it for $50 a gallon, probably around $70.

The reason I asked on this is more for the what everyone thought of the strength of the bond and the finished epoxy.  It isn't quite as strong as West's standard epoxies and is a bit more flexible when cured.  Like all new products or advancements in products companies try and cash in on their lead in the market.  I think other epoxy makers will add something like this to their product lines and bring the price down.  Even at a 1/4 the price though it would still be $90/gal. or about 30% more then mixing it yourself.  I would consider it at that price though if the strength and flexabilty are issues.
(11-21-2009, 11:17 PM)Terry Peterson link Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it for $50 a gallon, probably around $70.

You are right.  Probably closer to 75.00 a gallon for Marinepoxy plus filler.  I just remembered the cost of epoxy incorrectly. 
I've used a syringe to lay down a bead of thickened epoxy, also.  I've had fairly good luck with the technique and it keeps the finished surfaces cleaner than trying to "trowel in" a bead of thickened epoxy with a popsickle stick/tongue depressor!

Dave
I've used a cake decorator with good results as well.  Even managed to re-use it by cleaning it right away.
(11-22-2009, 05:31 PM)Andrew_Butchart link Wrote: [ -> ]I've used a cake decorator with good results as well.  Even managed to re-use it by cleaning it right away.

I use small zip lock sandwich bags in much the same way but you need not be careful with them just pitch when done.Â