BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rope Twist Molding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings all,

I was at Owl Hardwoods to pick up some 12/4 mahogany for the bowsprit and I stumbled across some fancy rope twist molding in eight foot lengths that is just screaming to be included on the boat.  I was thinking about maybe using it instead of the half round around the bottom of the cabin sides.  I am thinking that the rope twist has to be applied to another surface that is also going to be finished bright as I can't imagine trying to cut-in paint around that curvy edge.  Maybe  I'll rip a thin strip of 1/8" lattice to be 1/8" wider than the molding to act as a base.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Tom

[attachment=1][attachment=2]
That is nice looking stuff Tom.
Tom,

I used something like this as an accent on a set of bunk beds I made sometime ago.  About the only way to use it over a painted surface is to paint it before applying it then just tough up the holes where I nailed it down.  You would have to pry it off for any future coats of poly but like base board that is not a big deal in most domestic applications.  However if I understand the location you are talking about you are probably wanting something more permanent and substantial then finishing nails (glue?) so your idea of a back plate would be a great way to handle the shape issue.
Nice look, Tom!  I used round head brass screws to secure my molding.  If you want to paint the cabin trunk first, then apply the rope molding you'll probably need to screw the molding to the trunk.  Brads won't hold.  Glue would probably be best but you risk screwing up your paintjob from any squeeze out.  Look for some #4 screws.  If you don't like brass, try plain steel and buy some gun bluing solution.  You can get an antique look real quick!  I use that trick a lot in building reproduction furniture.
The backplate is a good idea, though!

Dave
Nice; I used some of that on my Pocket Cruiser many years ago. Vary the color/species of the back plate for added pizazz, or match for more subtle look?

Mike