BYYB Forums

Full Version: Any SF BAY AREA Builders???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi...new to this forum...have been drooling over the boats and info on the Weekender site and getting ready to buy plans...

I have never built a boat but I am a woodworker living in Napa CA...close to the SF BAY...hoping to hook up with some owners/builders near me...would love to visit and see a boat...learn about places to sail and learn...and see a weekender/vacationer in person...

Not sure which plans to go with...vacationer or weekender...

Thanks for any ideas and help,

matt
Hi and welcome aboard!  I don't live in the SF area but there's a map of BYYB members on the internet and that might give you a name of someone that does.  Here's the link: http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/sh...do?id=BYYB

Good luck and enjoy the build.
Hi Matt,
There are a lot of great places I wished I'd explored more in the SF area. We sailed out in Tomales and it's GREAT. Sausalito would be ideal to poke around, also Alameda. I always expected that Petaluma and the run out to the bay would be interesting too. The lakes east of you are pretty good-szed too, if I remember right, but I also recall a lot of skiboats.

Weekender/Vacationer? I'd choose the Weekender unless you really think you'll be sailing with 3-4 people often. 1-2 people would be more the Weekender's style. Three people fit nicely on a Weekender, but you can begin to feel the weight difference in performance with three aboard.

Mike
Thanks guys...

I am a history teacher who has gotten into woodworking in Napa CA...and there was a person on Lumberjocks.com (mike i started a post on your site/plans you should check out LJ's...) who was making a boat using classic boat building...since I know nothing I was intrigued...

Started reading books at the librbary...and thought I was on the 5 year plan...then I found your site...and got excited that this was possible MUCH sooner...with the tools and skills I already have...

Many of the posts and comments on the website are over a long period of time...so costs people discussed are long ago...what is the ballpark figure to build each boat in CA dollars...??? 

mike you mentioned parts of the bay that would be good to sale---does this mean that sailing from end to end of the bay and all around it would be to rough?  My idea was go out Napa river and around san pablo bay and all over the SF Bay...maybe even up the delta (know there are a lot of power boats up there...)...

Frank Hagan posts described sailing off the coast of oxnard---channel islands...so some people go on the coast---but is it just to rough up here in Nor Cal???

Ok...lots of questions...

matt
Hi Matt, this is my first post and I'm looking for more builders around the bay area. However I built my Weekender "Rosebud" four years ago. Plus I'm in Petaluma!!! Come on over, this boat just cruised up to Stockton last month. We caught the tailend of a hurricane out of Mexico and had a broad reach to Benicia. Spent the night at the dock, went downtown for dinner and breakfast that next morning. Left about 12 noon and was in Stockton by 5pm camped on dock that night and called for the trailer the next morning. Back in Petaluma by 2pm. Great sail but would like other boats with something in common. Two years ago my son and I went to the Sea of Cortez by trailer to San Carlos on the mainland for three weeks. Great time and could have sold the boat 10 times easy. These boats take about 20 min. to set up and launch and 45 min. to talk to the croud that gathers. I also have a Catalina 30 and a 20ft houseboat I am still building. Since building Rosebud I have lost interest in the Catalina 30 and will sell it. The houseboat will tow Rosebud on some trips and be a base with all the comforts! Such as Alameda, So. San Francisco, Delta etc. I have been sailing the bay and delta since 1965. Lived on Tomales Bay 8 yrs.  Call if you like, I own a sign co. in Petaluma. Warren Percell 1514 Bodega ave. 707 765-6512
HI WARREN!!!

I have not logged in for a week so I just saw your post and I cant tell you how excited and how many questions I have...

Will send you a PM....

Matt
(11-05-2009, 08:29 PM)Matt Denney link Wrote: [ -> ]Many of the posts and comments on the website are over a long period of time...so costs people discussed are long ago...what is the ballpark figure to build each boat in CA dollars...??? 

Are CA dollars different then US dollars ?  Wink

Cheers
Tom
LOL...Tom---I have no idea...I am sitting here (pre-coffee) trying to think of what I meant...at first I was thinking I meant current 2009 dollars...thats what I wanted to know---if you take the rest of the sentence into context...but I did say CA---so maybe I was thinking that, like everything else, it would cost more to build it here...

I know many woods are a lot more expensive here...but truthfully---I just was looking for a ball park in 2009 $$$...

Several people who looked at the plans guestimated $4000-5000 for the vacationer...

thanks...matt
4 to $5000 is a good estimate. I'm a little over $4000 now and have most of what I need.  I ordered my plywood online, in fact they have a company out your way called Allied vaneer. I used merenti marine ply that I got from Allied, I think they call it Hydrotek. If you want longevity with your boat you may want to concider a good marine plywood . I think I paid $1400 for all of my plywood
3 years ago.
Warren she's a beautifull lookin' boat mate
Brian.