BYYB Forums

Full Version: Splash Coaming question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to finish the cockpit, including the seatbacks, with the outside edges rounded, and the inside edges filled smooth before installing the splash coaming.  Unfortunately I can't figure how to get uderneath to screw the coaming to the deck unless the sides are off!  How did you all solve the problem?

Dave
It depends on how much room you have, but my first thought is an angle drive attachment for your drill or an actual angle drive drill.
Is there a possibility that you could attached the coaming board by screwing threw the board and deck into a stringer or some other support?  I split a stiffener board and attached it by screwing threw the deck and gluing it.  I attached an additional stiffener board to the top edge of the deck along the inside of the cockpit by drilling threw that board, the deck and into the stiffener board under the deck.  I filled the srew head holes and faired the top of the board.
I cut the coamings out of a larger piece of wood.

I put a screw in from below in the portion on my boat where the deck overhangs the seat back right where it curves in.  The other was driven on an angle through the top of the coaming into the cabin wall.

I used "lots" of glue.
I just epoxied it on without any hardware.  Built it up strip planked.
Seems like the "lots of glue" solution is best.  I'm modifying the seating similar to what Barry Pyeatt has done.  I may be able to throw a security screw or two in from the bottom before closing up the build.  Epoxy is pretty strong on it's own!

Dave
A screw or two through the side of the coaming at the very front, driving into the side of the cabin, one screw down through the top of the coaming at the very rear and into the deck, and, as everyone says, lots of Titebond or 5200, -seems to do it.
Thanks, Peter!  I also forgot about the 1X4 panel joiner I used to finish the deck.  Should provide plenty of "bite" for the mid portion of the coaming.  I'll install another block at the rear for the same purpose.  I plan to extend the coaming to the back of the cockpit.

Dave