BYYB Forums

Full Version: Behind The Eight Ball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
  I was at my local airport ( Islip Long Island ) to pick up my sister today. This boat as been on display for a number of years and I must have walked past it a hundred times, but today "LOOK IT'S A GAFF RIG"
after 30mins my 1st mate was able to drag me away.  Yes I have been bitten by the wooden boat bug.
Keith, you will not find much sympathy with this group. Misery loves company and you're in with others of a similar affliction.

It's a painful disorder, particularly for those that may care about you. This decreases in time as these people eventually toss up their hands and walk out, seeing that you're incurable. This is the way of things, get use to it.

You'll find your money has a like regard to your wallet as your friends and family do you. Before long, you'll find 100 dollar bills vacating you as quickly as your last girl friend, when she found out you're still living with mom.

The word BOAT stands for Bring Over Another Thousand. Get use to this too.

The worst part is you probably think I'm kidding. In a few years, you'll realize I was just trying to save you, but nooooooooo you knew what you were doing . . . The first sign of healing is admitting you have a problem, so maybe your coming out of the closet in this matter is the first step. Seek paid, professional help soon my friend, you'll be in my prayers this evening.
Wow, it looks just like the little "star yacht" toy sailboats I used to play with when I was young.
Greetings,

I want a set of sails like the Eight Ball's for my Weekender ... Yacht-cut main, mitre-cut jib.

Were all of those "seams" real seams?  Or were they just dyed into the fabric?

I can't make out the manufacturer logo in the corners.

Cheers,
Tom
Hi I'm Craig and I'm a boat builder.... 8) 8) 8)  She's a nice boat
Greetings Craig,

I believe the whole exchange goes something like this ...

Hi.  My name is Craig, and I'm a boat builder.  

< Those in attendance return the greeting ... >

Hi Craig!

< Then Craig continues ... >

It has been 12 weeks since I have last laid a keel.

Would all who care to, please join me in opening with a "moment of silence" for those who are still sick and suffering, both in and out of this room, followed by the Serenity Prayer.  Let's take that moment now......

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (over-all length, beam, draft, sail plan), the courage to change the things I can (wood choices, cabin heights, trailboards, tiller vs wheel), and the wisdom to know the difference.

Ok, lets call the meeting to order and start with The Boat Builders Pledge.

All Boatbuilders: ‘I am a nice carpenter, not a mindless boat building machine, if i am to change this image i must first change myself, boats should be sailed, not built forever.’

Except stinkin powerboats!

yeah

< It's at this point in the meeting that Craig gets a whiff of sawdust that drifts in from the Garage, and he says ... >

Oooooooooo, that's good!   And he picks up his power plane ...

< and the other members in attendance >>

Intervention !!!  It's not his fault, he really has good intentions!

<  and Craig continues ... >

I'll finish this boat before dinner !!!

Wink
Cheers,
Tom
(10-25-2009, 05:56 AM)tombayus link Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings Craig,

I believe the whole exchange goes something like this ...

Hi.  My name is Craig, and I'm a boat builder.  

< Those in attendance return the greeting ... >

Hi Craig!

< Then Craig continues ... >

It has been 12 weeks since I have last laid a keel.

The only trouble is that no one here is trying to discourage anyone from boat building.  Its more like the confirmed alcoholics at a bar buying each other drinks. Â