BYYB Forums

Full Version: something to think about
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While winter closes in on many of us and lists of possible winter projects are being drafted consider this:

http://www.norfolk.com/node/274951

It's a link to a short blurb about a 1/4 scale replica of a viking long boat called the Svanen.  I sent the builder an email asking if he had plans or diagrams for the boat.  He responded a day later.  Here's part of the response:

"Plans for Svanen were never put to paper other than working drawings for forming the rib molds and such.  A lot of the construction was based on an Adirondack Guide Boat.  Tho, the general shape was taken from a 1/25th scale model of the Oseberg from "Billings Boats" model #518.  From there it was a matter of setting out graph paper on the framing stations & plotting a 1 to 6 ratio (1/8" to 3/4") giving me an approximate 1/4 scale to the Oseberg, a little over 5 meters.  The ribs & stems are bent laminant fir, the hull is okume and sapele marine ply.  Laying out the strakes, I took from Greg Rossel's book "Building Small Boats"."

According to the builder the boat sails well though he says it's best to have a crew of two.  Ok so this winter figure out the boat of your dreams and put building it on your winter to do lists, well provided you have the space, time, money and imagination.  here's a better picture the builder sent witht the email:
There's an odd kink in the second strake. It doesn't appear in the one above or below. I wonder what this is all about.
I remember this boat.

And yes, here is another photo ...

http://www.woodenboat-digital.com/wooden...102/?pg=84

Same boat.  Different perspective.  Doesn't look as big Smile

Cheers,
Tom
Paul:

It might just be from the piece of wood the fellow used originally. If using fairly rough, semi-traditional, not-too-finished boards, one might want to hang on to a bit of bronze-age character where it didn't affect the build. Past sufficient overlap, I assume the excess could take any shape without adding anything but aesthetics and a teensy bit of weight.

One possibility...

Mike
Mike, I doubt that. All the other strakes are dead straight and everything is so glossy, showroom polished instead of bronze age finish.

But no, I don´t have any better quess myself  :Smile
The strakes were cut from plywood so not a rough board.  I doubt he steam bent the strakes.  Perhaps just a slip of the saw while cutting the curve?
It looks to me like he may have had an issue with that plank not laying fair and notched it to make it lay down.  If the hull shape rolls upright too steeply the geometry will give you gaps.  ( whats the term I'm looking for Paul?) I'd sure line to see the other side.  The WB photo doesn't show that far back.  ??? ???
Originally, the strakes for these were ripped along grain lines. I've seen this done and it produces exceptionally strong stock. The edges were trimmed fair by eye, then they were hung. The end results were as good as any modern workboat would be, possible better.

Of course this isn't a traditional build and the strakes are plywood. I suspect there would be little ill from this kink, though possible a stress riser in the general area. It just seemed odd on a boat with as fair of plank runs as the rest appear to be. The WoodenBoat "Launchings" photo (which I vaguely remember) shows the inside of that area and a distinct turn in the planks, both above and below the area. This suggests it's a scarf or break repair.

Having repaired many lapped boats, it's very difficult to perform an on board repair and make it fair when it's closed into the scarf. Usually you have to go back with a rabbi plane and clean up the lapped edge across several frame bays to "blend" it in, before you clench (or rove, bolt, screw or glue) the lap closed.

Something to be proud of in any case.