BYYB Forums

Full Version: Ginny Rae is tucked away for the season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I cleaned and wrapped up Ginny Rae, and put her away for a long winter nap this week. I pulled the sails off, and plan to make a new set this winter with Denis' assistance. Keith are you still hanging on for a last sail with Made Merry? Denis Polar Dip, and Ryerson, and Annie's San Souci are also tucked away for the winter.

Lets start planning a post sailing season gathering sometime between mid October, and before Christmas. Let me know what times work best for everyone.

Greg
Early December would work best for us as we maybe away much of November.
I am away for some of november, maybe an early Christmas get-together? We could all bring our photos/videos and share them. I've got some pretty good ones.

Merry is away in her tent, I have lost confidence that it will ever be above zero this month, and I ended the season on a high note with that sail last week. I ran into Ken Frew taking Kestrel out the next day, he said that around the time we were out there the wind was more like THIRTY knots...the weatherman said sixty kph. Those reefing points have transformed my boat, I can tell you...

She weathered the season allright, I need to do some minor touch-ups in the spring, I think I might patch the fibreglass in the seating area, a couple of inches along the seat bottom/back joint have cracked, probably because that is the place people land when they jump in from the dock. Some varnishing and a tiny bit of paint will see her all fixed up for next spring. In the winter, I intend to have the foam mattress covered, plus I might separate the hatch area into a separate cushion, this is where I stand while raising the sails and there is no point in standing on one's bed in shoes while sailing. I also intend to try my hand at net-making, to make some side nets to hold sleeping bags and gear in the cabin. Also, I would like to try and make one of those rope mats for the cockpit. I'm also going to try and seal the lazarette area a little better, water somehow STILL gets in there when it rains too much.

Of course, if it does warm up, she is about half an hour away from being completely ready to sail!
Looking like an early Dec gathering will work best so far, just need to hear from Denis.

I gotta admire our optimism Keith, if the weather improves after 19 Oct, count me in as a first mate for a sail. That's when I'm back from sim in Tampa. Gee if you were here it 80-90F, the waters plenty soft too, however no time to sail.

Greg
Well I'm back home, and the sailing season is certainly done for another year. The smaller lakes are frozen, and there's a blanket of snow on everything here. Let's aim for a get together on either 05 or 12 Dec, I'll know which day is better for me by Wed.

Greg
Ken Frew says he would like to join us for a get-together in December.
We should be good those dates.  Annie doesn't go back to work until Dec 13th.  Anywhere is good for us as well.
Can't you guys use ice boats up there, or is the snow too deep on the ice?  Motorcycle raceing on frozen lakes was also a winter pastime in the north woods.
The lakes get fairly well snow covered. If the ice sailing boats could be made with skis Hmmm! Some folks do kite skiing, it looks like a blast. I'll stick to snowmobiling, and shoe shoes for my winter entertainment.

On another note Craig, the motor mount works great on my Vacationer.

Greg