BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tiller or wheel for the Vacationer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One more question for the brains trust *******  what are the pros & cons wheel or tiller
A tiller offers much more "feel" then a wheel and steering response is much more "crisp". It's also a much simpler device, has no moving parts to wear out or break and if well designed can be lifted clear of everything in the cockpit when not in use.

A wheel is cute and some think more in keeping with the style of small 19th century yachts. A wheel doesn't "sweep" the aft end cockpit, so it's foot print underway is smaller. The wheel makes a small boat look slightly larger.
  My to 2cents worth.  first let me tell you I am a tiller man. Now I think the wheel looks better to people who don't sail but I also think the tiller does a much better job, especaly for people like me who are lost most of the time anyway. Bud Wink
I like the wheel on my weekender, because it saves a little space in the cockpit, and it is a small boat. This is the only reason I like it. Non sailors admire it but that is irrelevant. When it's very windy I wish I had a tiller with an extension, because it's hard to lean out and still reach the wheel. If I was building a Vacationer I'd go with the tiller. It looks saltier anyway in my opinion, is easier to build, and I think might improve the handling of the boat.
Greetings,

Ditto on the tiller is better for boat feel, but wheel looks cooler.  I know people who prefer tillers on boats up to about 30 ft in length, and the largest boat I boat I have been on with a tiller is this 65 ft long 70 ton replica of the Nina ...

[Image: cover2.jpg.jpg]

The wheel also affords the opportunity to add fancy beer dispensing binnacles to the cockpit.  Smile

The coolest wheel I have been behind was on a Compact Yacht Horizon Cat which included a little raised wheel house with integrated cup holders.  The cockpit was designed so that you could sit facing straight forward with your back against the lazarette and your arm resting on the wheel house and your hand on the wheel.  It was like driving a car with a center console.  Very comfortable, and any idiot could drive the boat. You can just make it out in these pictures ...

[Image: horizoncatinwatercockpit.jpg]

[Image: horizon-cat-plan.gif]

More at http://www.com-pacyachts.com/trailerable...n-cat.html

Watch the video at http://www.com-pacyachts.com/com-pac-the...horizoncat to see how they raise the mast from the cockpit via a winch.

I really liked the Horizon Cat, but I keep choking on the +$45,000 price tag.  Even the used ones over 5 years old are more than $30,000.

Cheers,
Tom
One thing people tend to forget about how we prefer to set up the wheel steering is that it's quite fast: More like a wag-staff than a standard wheel on a larger, production-type boat. This gives a little more feel than a low-geared wheel. Just a thought.

As for the steering set-ups where one can sit on the mini wheel-house-deal and steer facing forward, the ultimate MUST be the "Marge" from the early '60's film Purple Noon! ...of course the WHOLE boat is pretty much to die for.  8)

Mike
That's true, it's not like you have to crank the thing. My rudder goes hard-over in less than a whole turn. I just sometimes wish I had the tiller when I'm sailing by myself and trying to lean way out, while still holding a wheel spoke.
My original build was using a binnacle with a power boat steering rig. I built the seating in a horse shoe config in the cockpit. Allowed me to sit behind the binnacle and steer. I alway found the steering to be slow to respond, and had no "feel". Last year I built a new rudder box, and tiller, the handling is superb. As Keith mentioned the stock steering is very responsive, however being able to reach my cooler for a cold one, or tend a sheet, and still hold a course with the tiller, is worth the modification.

Greg
  Any thoughts on a combination of the two  :Smile A removable wheel and a removable extension to the tiller.
  Could be the best of both worlds or a real big head ache.
The tiller I have is not removable, with a wing nut and bolt arrangement, it could be. The tiller does pivot up, and clear to shift to either side in the boat.

[Image: KeenanGregsSail1stboattripJul08003.jpg]

Greg
Pages: 1 2