BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rub Rails question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need to rip my rub rails next. The instructions say 1x2. Is it a true 2" wide? Also, I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to install them AFTER fiberglasssing? I would think it would make glassing easier?
No, not a true 2". It would be 3/4" x 1 1/2" finish size. I believe the plans say to glass up to the bottom rub rail, which I did, but I also stuck a strip in between the rails to stop checking of the plywood. I suppose glassing before the rub rails go on would be fine but I try to stick to the directions as shown, after all they have had all the experience and I haven't. But that's just me. These boats have been built so many ways it's amazing.
I put the top rubrail on and then glassed the hull with the exception of the rub rail. Then I put the bottom rubrail on. Hindsight being 20/20, I would be tempted to glass the hull before putting either rubrail on. That way the wood is protected under the rubrail in case any water gets in there. The rubrails will receive abuse even if you use bumpers. It fairly easy to sand and/or fill any gouges and then varnish the rubrails each season or every other season. Glassing the rubrails might trap water in them leading to rot.

Robert Espe

Don't try to glass the rubrails. I did that on my skipjack, and the only thing harder than trying to work all the bubbles out of a rail, is sanding off all that fibreglass (off a round rail no less) because there was no way to stop the bubbles.
i glassed first and then installed the rubrails.

a.

J Stephen Mustico

I agree with Adla, If you want to glass all the way up, Glass first, then attach your rub rails.

Other wise, 1) you have a mess doing your glass, 2) as your rub rails rub, you will rub through your glass, compromising the protection. 3). If the rub rails are on top, you could replace them in the future without breaking under your glass.

J Stephen Mustico
I glassed mine first. A rubrail is sacrifical. You want to be able to remove it when it's worn out from rubbing a dock. If you rub through glass you could open your hull sides up to water intrusion and rot could start under the glass.

Keith
Thanks for the replies. They all make a lot of sense. I posted that question because the instructions and video show glassing over the rubrails and that seemed to not make sense for the reasons already stated. Are you guys gluing the rub rails onto the glass or just screwing it in or both?
Rub rails are intended to be replaced when damaged, beat up or worn out enough to not merit refinishing. They should be bedded, not glued (healthy fasteners) and this would be best over a 'glassed hull. If you glass the rails when you do the hull sides, the rails will be difficult to remove and it will be difficult to apply 'glass without generous radiuses added to the rails so the glass will lay flat on the surface. The rails can be 'glassed, but it would be better to 'glass them independently, then bed them as they are attached. Avoid 3M 5200 if you want to remove them with reasonable ease. 3M 4200 or a polysulfide like 3M 101 or BoatLife will work as a fine bedding compound and make removal easier.

Robert Espe

Jeff,
the video just shows glasing up to the rails, and then trimming with a craft knife.

Paul,
seeing as screws would break the glass skin, would coat them with something, or is the bedding under the rail sufficient?
Pages: 1 2