BYYB Forums

Full Version: Knot Yacht almost done!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I always find a deadline helps expedite completion of a boat and my deadline for my own self-designed challenge boat is the PDR world championship on my local lake this weekend.  The idea for this boat occurred during slack winds on the Florida 120 where I began to think a rather large but reefable sail area is desirable when cruising without an engine.  I was thinking about adding a bowsprit and jib to Little Gem but she has such a wide open cockpit I wouldn't want to risk the possibility of a capsize.  So, I designed a 12' boat with a raised sole, open transom, and watertight storage that would take no water on if capsized.  Several fun hours with Hulls (free hull-design software) and I had my boat with generous flare aft to assist in hiking out, a flat run and beamy aft for planing performance, and a 7'7" long flat raised sole for sleeping.  I must say I am happy with the results in my shop but the big question is, will I be happy with the results on the water?

[Image: ABCD0005.jpg] [Image: ABCD0004.jpg] [Image: ABCD0003.jpg] [Image: ABCD0002.jpg] [Image: ABCD0001.jpg]
I hope you have a very waterproof bivy bag or you might have a rather damp experiance.  BTW...  The boat looks great.  She looks fast. 
I am planning on a boom tent with flaps that can be closed at each end.  The large side-decks allows me to put ties on the side of the tent so I can raise those sides for more cross-breeze.  I also have a mosquito bivy sack when protection from insects is needed.
And it looks like the people who sell deck hatches can now put their kids through college ....  ;D
I have my Bateau CV16 nearing completion.  I am in the perpetual sanding phase just now.  I am hoping to use the her as a camp cruiser.  From what material are you makig the tent?  I also want to make a boom tent though I was thinking of suspending netting inside from tapes.  sort of a tent within a tent.  I was thinking of the water coming up from the non-existent transome end when I wondered about the waterproof bivy.
I don't know yet what material I will be using though I do have some waterproof stuff I bought at Seattle Fabrics.  A little on the heavy side (not like a backpacking tent) but I am on a boat afterall!  Will update when I start working on the boomtent.

The pictures are deceptive with the raised sole making the hull look like it doesn't have much depth.  However, I designed her for a max displacement of 500 lbs at which point the transom should just touch the water.  Everything stores below in all of those deckhatches....yes, I helped out duckworks with their purchase.
Scott that boat looks great! she looks like she will be fast on the water , I cant wait to hear your report on her. do you have a name yet?

brian.
Her name is "Knot Yacht."  Michael Storer talked about the importance of boat naming in his furledsails interview with the boat generally taking on the aspect of the name.  So, Knots are what I hope to generate with this boat and I am hoping she is as comfortable for me to cruise on as a Yacht.  Besides, the pun is kinda funny as well since this boat flies in the face of the modern definition of a yacht since she has no motor and is under 12' long.
well if it does take on the characetistics of the neame lets hope it is to speed rather than the rigging lol
She looks great Scott.  Have you had a chance to get Knot Yacht on the water?  I’m looking forward to the sailing report.