BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rigging Time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gary James

How long does it take you to set up your Weekender when you go sailing?

Thanks,

grj
My wife and I can set up our Weekender and be in the water in about 12 minutes.
My first (and only) time out, it took me about 45 minutes so you can probably take that as a "worst case" scenario.
The first time out is always a long affair. Eventually you'll get it down to a routine that takes very little time.
It all depends on how many people come over to look at the boat. I have been in the water as fast as 10 minutes and as long as an hour.
These times sound about right to me. Ten minutes to pull the trailer if all goes well, a lot longer if you forget something at home (or a turnbuckle rattles off while trailering and you don't have an extra body in the boat! Bad morning...)

It should be a pretty easy affair.

Mike
I usually take the rudder off for trailering, so it takes me five minutes or so to put it back in the rudder box, usually I forget to bring the piece of wire I use to fish the rudder downhaul (or whatever that piece of string is called) through the rudder box, so I have to look around the woods for a thin stick or something. When I remember the wire, this takes thirty seconds. Then I make sure all the lines are untangled, another minute, climb up onto the boat and lift the mast, pop the pin into the tabernacle, jump down and attach the forestay. This takes a couple of minutes. Then I tighten the turnbuckles on the shrouds, this takes the most time, trying to get them even. Say about three minutes. If someone is helping, it takes even less time. Usually by now I've discovered that I left the oars in the tent so I have to drive back and get them. If not, I back the boat into the water, tie it up and park the trailer. Then I load up all the beer and snacks, pop the ipod into the little speaker-thing on the cabin shelves, drop the rudder and hoist the sails. Say ten minutes.

Usually, when my boat is all put away in its tent, if I leave my house, go get the boat, set it up, launch it,  and get it ready at the slip, I am sailing away about half an hour after I leave my house. This is at the beginning of the year. I get faster as the summer goes on. I like to screw around and chat with other boaters, and admire my boat before I get in and sail, too, so a busier person could probably get going even more quickly.