BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bottom paint
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am to the point of painting the bottom of my boat.  I was planning to use Interlux Brightside Seattle grey paint.  It is a one part poly paint not rated for below the waterline.  I got to thinking maybe I should put on a true bottom paint but have no idea which one or type.  I want a lighter, almost white color, and I like a semi-gloss finish.  I looked at the bottom paints listed on Jamestown Distributors site and most say flat or matte finish.  My boat will spend most of its time on a trailer and won't be in the water for more the a few days at a time.  Is the Interlux Brightside acceptable?  Would the two part Perfection paint be a better choice?  Something in a below water line rated paint?  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Terry Interlux is a great brand but I would use one of there bottom paints on the bottom. I know on the trailor most of the time but I think you will be happier in the long run with a bottom paint. You may have to give up some of the gloss but I think it will work better for you Bud.
Real bottom paint is designed for one thing only, to make anything that wants to live on it's surface undesirable. Basically, it's poison in a can. Colors are very limited, all are dull and will change color as they get wet or are exposed to the sun (dark blue turns light blue, reds turn pink, etc.), plus they'll get "chalky" very quickly too. Anything that touches this paint out of the water will get this chalk on them (it's poison remember) and in general, you don't want nor need it on a trailer boat.

If your surface prep is good and you've applied a good quality topside paint, then trailer born boats do just fine and look much better, then those with anti-fouling bottom paint. You can have you choice of color, including custom mixes, your choice of sheen. Because the can says it's not for use below the water line, doesn't mean it will just peel off the moment you put it in the water. What it means is the paint isn't intended to be continuously immersed in water. In fact chemically, other then the poisons, there isn't much difference between bottom and topside paint.

Lastly, applying bottom paint smoothly is next to imposable. Most of these paint are sacrificial in nature, so they're thick and applied thick. Because they're not designed to "self level" (like topcoats are), they leave roller and brush marks like no one's business and tipping off will not get rid of it.

So, if you want a thick, fairly textured, poisoned surface, that leaves everything that touches it with a mark of poisoned paint, then anti-fouling bottom paint is just the thing. If on the other hand, you are like 99% of the other trailer boat people in the world, then you don't need nor desire bottom paint.